Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Composite to sealed beam DRL question

1K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  AstroOafAdventurer 
#1 ·
So I'm gathering parts to swap my composite Astro to a Safari sealed beam grille.
Composite lights come on with the ignition, acting as DRL but I'm guessing it just triggers the low beam headlight circuit.
I'll be getting LED headlights, and looking at 2 models, one with a DRL halos, and the other no DRL.
I like the DRL, but it has a separate from the main connector wire for the DRL.
I'd like the DRL to come on with ignition, then when I turn the lights on, low beams activate and DRL goes off.
I want this to happen automatically, thinking it should be easily done with relays but I'd need a source from the light switch to trigger the relay.
Any thoughts on this or another way to wire them up to accomplish this?

#5 ·
Thanks Leeann!
So the wiring looks pretty much the same except the headlight connectors are wired for single/dual lights.
Maybe where my thinking is off, I'm of the understanding SB headlights are off with ignition on, no DRL, where as the composite headlights come on with the ignition, functioning as DRL. Looking at the diagrams above though, I'd say this isn't the case, I thought I'd seen somewhere here that SB's don't have DRL. In the second diagram though I am curious about the right hook off of LT GRN just before the headlights and what P100 and the E in the triangle mean...

#6 ·
Eureka! I've had the diagram all along, well kinda. I linked it in another topic, but there is a relay as MI_Ghost said!
Looks like I'll need to disconnect the yellow wire from the relay or diode and run it to the DRL on the new lights.

Here's the diagram, both composite and SB models look to have the DRL relay
http://www.autolib.diakom.ru/CAR/Chevro ... S/9293.pdf

Also, 99 is different than the 97 fyi.

#7 ·
Yes, Sealed beam does have the DRL as well.

Now here is the bug. The DRL ties in with the automatic lights. If you seperate out the DRL to run halos or bars. You give up head lights in the automaic lights and will have only the running/parking lights. Which means you are back to manually turnning on the head lights. The automatic lights then become useless.

The trick will be to get the automatic lights to trigger a relay that will switch the DRL from the halos to low beam. And you can make mine p-n-p. :D

#8 ·
Thanks, I thought I'd read somewhere here the sealed beams don't have DRL.
Looking the following diagram, I'm thinking I can take the yellow wire from the DRL diode to the DRL relay, and divert it from the relay to the halo for DRL.
I'll have to find an easy place to get to the yellow wire, I want to use a connector so I can easily switch back to stock if needed.
The DRL/halo will turn on with the ignition, and the headlight switch will turn the headlights on, DRL/halo off.
http://www.autolib.diakom.ru/CAR/Chevro ... S/9293.pdf

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.