Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Automatic transmission filter

4K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Bigforkg 
#1 ·
Hello. I have a request on behalf of a friend. Can someone tell me what is the automatic transmission filter in the van
VIN 1GNEL19W8TB149394.

#4 ·
ptysiek said:
This is a 1996 Chevy astro 4.3 AWD with shallow bowl
You (or your friend) don't know how to search online auto parts stores?
Start here (put in your year, make, model.. and what type part you are looking for.
https://www.rockauto.com/

If online doesn't work for you.. the "over the counter parts guy" at your local auto parts store will have no trouble finding your part. It's a very common usually in-stock part.

#8 ·
I have been repairing my rwd van for 13 years, and I did not want to mislead my friend because he has awd. Hence my question. But if you have a problem with that, thank you. In Poland, stores with Amcar parts are on every corner of the street, so even when I buy it's a bad moment I will return it. Thank you

#9 ·
Got to https://www.gmpartsprime.com and put in the VIN number.
Then find your parts: 24236799 FILTER KIT, Oil Pan Pump Suction, FILTER KIT,AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID(W/FILTER, SEAL AND GASKET)(INCLUDES 71-73)

#11 ·
markmitch said:
we will need the year of the van, also if you look at the picture it will show you how to tell if its a deep pan or a shallow pan so you will have to go under the van and look and compare to the pictures I provided for you. Mark
I just recently found out there is a STEPPED pan as well. Different filter than either shallow or deep pan.

#12 ·
Bigforkg said:
I just recently found out there is a STEPPED pan as well. Different filter than either shallow or deep pan.
The stepped pan IS the deep pan.

#13 ·
AstroWill said:
Bigforkg said:
The stepped pan IS the deep pan.
Yes it is but it is different than GM deep pan of few years earlier. A deep pan filter of a 99 Tahoe with a 4l60e will not fit a stepped deep pan. The stepped pan filter is shaped different as is the height. Most auto parts places dont mention this or even know. They only go by make, model and year. Seeing as 20 year old vehicles may not have original transmissions or pans. I was only pointing out that GM has a 3rd type pan so someone else doesn't find out like I did. The pan is not a stepped pan as it should be from the factory but does have a non stepped deep pan.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.