Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

G80 swap

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Rockridge 
#1 ·
Undertook the axle swap yesterday in my open air garage. All in all it took about 4 hours including 20 minutes of looking for my 3/4" x1/2" drive deep well socket to get my lug nuts off. I practiced removing the brakes and cross over hard line from the donor axle to confirm that I could remove the axle without opening the brake lines

PXL_20210313_190026691.jpg

Started with the e-brake cable, then the shocks, differential vent, loosened all the little bendy tabs holding the brake line along the axle, calipers came off with the brackets. Next undid the clam shells and the u joint last. Used a spare set of rims to roll the old axle out and new one in.

PXL_20210313_201524262.jpg

Could not get the jack under the axle so I used some big clamps to pick it up. Worked slick as I was able to slowly bring it up without going back and forth from the jack to the fender well.

PXL_20210313_204607371.jpg

After that, installation is the opposite of removal.

G80 for the win

PXL_20210313_191122979.jpg

See less See more
#4 ·
Thanks guys, this time of year you never know what the weather is going to be, here is is now!

PXL_20210314_150737752.jpg

Had to rotate the picture to get the snow going the right direction

Just need some gear oil, a gasket and figure out why the prop shaft is further out of the t case. Might have to run to manchester to the drive shaft shop

#6 ·
Ok. Now I am confused. You replaced the rear axel. Why would the front prop shaft have moved in the transfer case? Or did you mean the main prop shaft is farther out of the transmission.

#7 ·
rear shaft was further out

So I thought the van was sitting higher in the back than normal, I jacked it up again and dropped it fast. Settled back where it usually rides, prop shaft looks to be right back where it should be. Guessing the shocks were hanging up a little.

Might be time to do that lower shock mount relocation mod sooner than later... And I'll keep my eyes open for a good used prop shaft to have modified so when I do the transfer case I can just swap it in. Running original U joints at 140k in NH weather, they felt smooth some preventative maintenance on them cant hurt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.