Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

2004 Cargo WIP

7K views 57 replies 15 participants last post by  backinabox 
#1 ·
This is my 2nd Astro my first was an 98/awd Cargo LS with all the options, unfortunately it got too rusty for my liking and I could not take on a "rustoration" at the time...Here in the Snow Belt these are getting so hard to find with out serious rust issues I got lucky on this one it's pretty solid all around, it just has some dents and the PO took a knife or razor to the vinyl lettering and now it has some ugly scratch's on the other wise straight quarter panels...oh well I'll repair them and seal them with epoxy primer till I can get around to paint...

Attachments

See less See more
#27 ·
backinabox said:
... The engine bay is starting to look better with all rusty parts blasted and painted. ...

I picked up a bag of Play Sand at the local Industrial supply house, it's only $6 a bag, pre-washed so it won't contaminate the metal or the ground or make the chickens sick...
Love the Attention to Detail - don't get that too much of that around here from Gen II owners.

741 Front End looks like New
Gen I Here

Still looks like it today...

#28 ·
backinabox, that's a real nice van, very clean, you are fixing it up well, you got a little while for the level of your really really nice S10.
Cleaning the underside with blasting sand, you have some serious drive to want to do that, more than I do.

#29 ·
dcsleeper said:
I can report there is no FUN in this method.
I agree, my past projects had few constraints during their builds but this one has a different end goal with somewhat limited funds I'm shooting for more function than Bling

sixsix said:
backinabox said:
... The engine bay is starting to look better with all rusty parts blasted and painted. ...

I picked up a bag of Play Sand at the local Industrial supply house, it's only $6 a bag, pre-washed so it won't contaminate the metal or the ground or make the chickens sick...
Love the Attention to Detail - don't get that too much of that around here from Gen II owners.

741 Front End looks like New
Gen I Here

Still looks like it today...
That's a gorgeous 1st gen so clean !!! :thumbup: It's nice to find people who appreciate detail, most folks around here do not get it and most look at my funny when I tell them what I'm working on...and that's why we drive what we do...we get it

#30 ·
Safarimeister said:
Nice work... very interested to know just how those 18" rims will fit.
I think they fit good...The rims will be getting bright red Bowtie Decals on the center caps...They're out far enough to standout, yet inside the body so there's no contact with the slider...the rear tires could be a little taller for my taste but I wanted tires I could rotate and use the originals for spares.
the front's will come out substantially once on the ground, right now they look goofy hanging there...

The Gloss Black Rim brings out the black hue in this formula of Pewter...never was a fan of black rims but I'm kinda digging it

The water pump is done, the G-van left behind a gift in the form of some leftover Copper engine paint & since my GM satin black supply is out and nobody will see it, why not? .....the Intake and Compressor mount look oily, I just sprayed them with F/Film

I should have it running this weekend, Can't wait to see it back on the ground

Attachments

#31 ·
I sand blasted the underside where ever I found rust then treated it with Rustoleum and Fluid Film. installed the Addco Rear Sway Bar, installed the carpet I got at the Salvage Yard after scrubbing it for an hour, lol...and now It is running and driving I just need to bleed the brakes one more time. I put the Flowmaster 40 on it and wow was it throaty then the Gibson Dual Side Exit Exhaust showed up so I installed it today it's still loud but kinda cool, I think once I install a new Cat it'll be fine. I need to cut the tailpipes back for the polished tips. I'll get some update photos tomorrow

Attachments

#32 ·
The Gibson pipes looked huge until they're in place. it's a Nice fit, everything clears even the sway bar which was my main concern.

Attachments

#33 ·
The carpet from the salvage yard was so freakin dirty but after it was soaked with Tide detergent for an hour then scrubbed and rinsed it looks pretty good and I bought a nice set of used Gray GM floor Mats off e-bay they're in real nice shape and go great with gray carpet it looks so much better than the OEM black vinyl mat it came with.

Attachments

#35 ·
sixsix said:
Brand New ( NOS ? ) Floor Mats !!!

Double Score !!

:rockon: :rockon:
I wish they were New but alas they're used but in real good condition and Mothers Protectant makes Em Shine...

I'm digging the Gibson Cat Back it sounds Throaty and deep just like a truck should...Everyone that's heard it said "wow that sounds like a V8" ...I think it's that big truck style round muffler and the two tips that break it up and make it sound bigger than it is :think:...I was real hesitant to spend $600 bucks on a cat back system but after hearing it run with that obnoxious Flow Master 40series I can honestly say this system was worth it :thumbup:
I can't wait any longer "gotta drive it" The new registration will be here next week so it's time for a stereo build...I purchased JVC components and Kicker speakers..it's getting a JVC 800w amp for the door speaks and tweets also two 6x9's that'll go in a slant box along with a 10" sub pushed by a 200w amp of it's own...it'll crank for sure and should be loud enough for me lol...plus the box is portable so it can be stood up in the slider to get the party started...
I got most of the wires run today...Tomorrow will be like Christmas...There's just something about unboxing stereo equipment

#36 ·
took these shots as I was wheeling it into the tent for the winter but not before I went around the block for the first time since doing all the work to it...wow what a difference, the new suspension parts, KYB shocks and new sway bars make it feel rock solid no more top heavy body roll...it is tight... can't freakin wait to drive this thing...

Attachments

#37 ·
I picked up a Flowmaster high flow CAT for it . I couldn't get over the price difference between a cat for 2 3/4" pipes and 3". I got the 3" Flwomaster and two reducers to mate up with the oem pipes for a fraction of the 2 3/4 cats

Attachments

#38 ·
It's been a long two months and I'm starting to work on it again, it just warmed up enough so I can work in my canopy a little during the day while the sun is shining, I live in a valley so daylight is short.
The fuel tank has been out and sitting on the ground since December but now the new pump has been installed along with a new filter and the FlowMaster Cat. It runs and idles much better and sounds better too. I also ran two new power cables for the Amps and installed the battery tray and ECM after blasting and painting them, this finishes up the engine bay for now...I would like to find a CAI. for it at some point...
I'm now in the planning measuring and doodle drawing stage of interior design, hopefully I'll have something to show for it soon...

Yahoo it's going to be in the 50's and 60's for a few days :banana: :banana:

#40 ·
Thanks Bro...ya I don't plan on ever driving it in the winter, it took me too long to find one in this condition...
The exhaust is a Gibson system, part #65607

#42 ·
I've been working on the interior and I am not much of a wood worker so I was apprehensive but, it's starting to come together...

1/4 in. x 3.5 in. x 8 ft. Cedar V-Plank - Home Depot
11/32 x 3 plywood strips ripped from a 2'x4' sheet - Home Depot
Reflectix 48 in. x 25 ft. Double Reflective Insulation Roll - Home Depot
3M super77 spray adhesive - Home Depot
Minwax wood finish- espresso 273
#6 x 5/8-in Antique Brass Truss Interior Wood Screws -special ordered from Lowes
New black carpet from Rock Auto

Attachments

#43 ·
I thought building a clean transition from the headliner to the wood ceiling was going to be challenging but it too came together. I removed the male half of the velcro that bonded the two headliner halves together with a heat gun. I was then able to reactivate the adhesive on the velcro with the heat gun and apply it to the plywood strip that now supports the transition...amazingly it worked out well....

Attachments

#44 ·
Being a body man I wanted the interior walls to be easily removed in case of body damage...The boards are screwed and glued to the 3" strips except for the top, middle and bottom boards which can be removed to expose the mounting screws, then the wall can be removed as one unit. The plywood strips are fastened with 10-32 stainless screws that thread into nut-inserts in the metal ribs and t-nuts in the center horizontal oak strip..

#45 ·
Great work,
I really appreciate the pictures and the descriptions of what went into it.
I would consider doing something like that, but I have windows, and cannot figure out a decent way to trim around the windows.
I, too, am not much of a woodworker; and do not have the imagination to attempt a project like that.
But, I can see what you did, and I could duplicate that pretty easily, if I did not have to deal with the windows.
Rod J
Issaquah, WA

#48 ·
sixsix said:
Nice Work there...
We hear that a lot... "I am not much of a woodworker".
From folks who end up being pretty good woodworkers - LOL!
x2 :rofl:
I like to think I'm pretty good because it is how I make a living but in all honesty I'm just better at hiding my mistakes.

#49 ·
Thanks guys...I bought enough materials to hide my mistakes...it just takes me a while at this age :shrug:
I started the passenger side wall today after finishing the headliner yesterday. Wrapping the C-pillar with wood is going to be tedious but I think I can get-er-done...here you can see the thread inserts and t-nuts, it just makes it so much nicer when you have to take it apart and now the holes don't pull out like conventional sheet metal screws during reassembly, the down side is the thread inserts are aluminum and extra care must be taken not to strip them...
I got a good start on it and a game plan going forward, tomorrow is another day and I'll need to be strong as I have a scheduled visit with my Dad at " The Home" he is failing and on Hospice...this project is my saving grace.

Attachments

#50 ·
Sorry to hear about your dad. I lost mine after a 13-year fight with Alzheimer's just about 6 years ago.

After the 6th or 7th beer, my mom asked my brothers and me if we really thought we should have another. After glaring at her, cutting our eyes at her and telling her to go away, we each polished off about 12 more. Or 18 more. Can't remember now. Might not have been able to remember the next day, really.

It's rough. No matter how it happens, no matter how long it takes to happen, losing your dad is rough.

#51 ·
Leeann_93 said:
... After the 6th or 7th beer, my mom asked my brothers and me if we really thought we should have another. After glaring at her, cutting our eyes at her and telling her to go away, we each polished off about 12 more. Or 18 more. Can't remember now. Might not have been able to remember the next day, really.
just... uhhh

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.