Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Dash Pad Replacement - is it difficult?

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  ptysiek 
#1 ·
The dashpad on my 2001 safari is cracked and even a bit warped / shrunk so it doesn't fit well with the dash board trim cover.

I'm wondering how much work (how difficult and how long) it might take me to remove and replace dash pad. I can't find any videos online about it. Lots of videos on how to replace the dash trim cover but not the dash pad itself. Has anyone done removed the dash pad?

If found a safari with the same dash pad and dash trim cover in good condition at the junkyard and they are even the right color so I'd like to swap them for mine if its not a huge job.

Please let me know.

Thanks!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
It's a lot of work and steps to remove the dash. The screws that hold the dash pad to the instrument panel are behind and underneath so the whole thing needs to come out to access them. The steering column needs to be dropped and a wiring harness that runs along the firewall needs to be carefully removed. All the wiring in the front kick panels need to be disconnected and make sure you remove all the grounds before trying to yank it out.

#3 ·
A few years ago I was taking the board out because the wiring harness burned out and it is pinned to the board. You have to unfasten the cables behind the battery, at the driver's and passenger's legs, Remove the steering wheel, lower the steering column, meter, covers, and then unscrew the board. two people, it's hard. Removing and inserting it like that one day. It took me 2 days because I had to fix the beam.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.