Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Hellwig or Addco rear sway bar end link question

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  ScottieDucati 
#1 ·
After looking into this, I think I can do a rear sway bar installation at our next campsite, if I use the trick TnB introduced of using front sway bar end links to get the needed extension for the 4" lifted suspension....

All the discussion I've seen using that method has been with the Hellwig bar... My question is, does the Addco bar mount the same so I could expect to use the same method? Anybody done it?

I need to get whichever bar I can get shipped most readily, so I want to know my options.... Of course the Addco bar is cheaper. so that's a plus as well....

#2 ·
here's some pics of an addco rear bar that i took when i installed it a while back. i got it because it mounts on top of the axle so it won't affect ground clearance. the difference in handling is much more subtle than the installation of a big front bar. the new rear overload shocks shown in the pics did more to help flatten the handling than the rear bar did, but the shocks also increased the ride stiffness (i have a cargo van that i usually drive empty, with a load the spring over shocks really work well). it looks like you could install longer end link bolts on this rear bar (if you go with a bottom of the axle mounted bar you'll end up with some really long end links). note that the bar comes painted, not powder coated - after a couple of winters the paint is all gone.
bar1.jpg

add1.jpg

add5.jpg

add4.jpg

hope this helps...
:wave:

#3 ·
Thank you for the pictures, very helpful.... Are those the end links that came with the bar? Or did you use longer ones? They look almost the length of extended links for lifted vans - is your van lifted?

#4 ·
Well, it turned out that the Hellwig bar was the only one I could get shipped in any timely manner, so I'm gonna go with it.... I like the look of the Addco install, but can't wait that long...

I ordered the end links TnB used, so hopefully it all goes together super easy....

#5 ·
gavio said:
Thank you for the pictures, very helpful.... Are those the end links that came with the bar? Or did you use longer ones? They look almost the length of extended links for lifted vans - is your van lifted?
i have a 1999 astro cargo van, 2WD, not lifted. the links in the picture are what addco sent me......

#6 · (Edited)
The “locking device” is supposed to deform around your axle not sit on top of it that way, unless you had it welded in place I’m curious if the user encountered any issues….

locking devices:

Motor vehicle Automotive design Computer keyboard Wood Peripheral

Installed as per their instructions, note the hardware here is a little loose. This was before torquing up again.

Automotive tire Musical instrument Motor vehicle Vehicle brake Automotive wheel system

welded in place seems to be like your setup:

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood Musical instrument

I had one go missing after a shop did the install, ADDCO says they deform over time and you inspect and torque at regular intervals after install.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.