1999 astro cargo build thread

Forum rules
Build topics only! Members are allowed one topic per vehicle in this forum. Topics may only be started by the vehicle owner but all are welcome to reply to the authors project thread.

Re: 1999 astro cargo build thread

Postby Leeann_93 » February 3rd 2021, 3:11am

stent wrote:the desktop screen of the moment..........
bwine1.jpg

sixsix wrote:... and a phone with a cord!
And those are some Mighty Fine Gaskets you got there, sonny boy...

i did a wider angle pic this time to get the phone in. RCA in basic black.....
i thought that as many people as get the lower intake leak i'd put in good closeup pics of the fel-pro gasket set to see what you get in the box. the new manifold bolts are a separate buy, i got them just because they come with thread sealer already on them.
Leeann_93 wrote:

On a nice older iMac, too (she says looking at the pic on her 27" iMac)

check out the keyboard - it's from the solid white series prior to this one and has the clickety-clack keys.

the desktop screen of the moment..........
bwine1.jpg

sixsix wrote:... and a phone with a cord!
And those are some Mighty Fine Gaskets you got there, sonny boy...

i did a wider angle pic this time to get the phone in. RCA in basic black.....
i thought that as many people as get the lower intake leak i'd put in good closeup pics of the fel-pro gasket set to see what you get in the box. the new manifold bolts are a separate buy, i got them just because they come with thread sealer already on them.
[quote="Leeann_93"]

Dear God...Thunderbird and Night Train...haven't seen that since I was in college and worked at the 'low rent' liquor store in town :shock:

I did see the keyboard. I killed my last one like that spewing beer while laughing at something on here...who knows what at this point. I have a chiclet key rechargeable bluetooth keyboard now. I still prefer the clickety-clack keys, but they're hard to find.

I have two -T Fel-Pro gasket sets here I got on clearance. Cheaper for the 2 than 1 at regular price. Have to do them on my '05 soon, but the other set isn't yet spoken for (the '00 had them done not long before we bought it). Yeah, that was an impulse click.
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 45
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LS AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Postby stent [OP] » February 9th 2021, 10:06pm

just the desktop screen of the moment and a quickie leak update :
green2.jpg
meat

the intake leak is still plugged :
green.jpg

:rolling:
Original Poster [OP]
stent
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: stent has been a member for 4 full yearsstent has been a member for 4 full yearsstent has been a member for 4 full yearsstent has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 3
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1999
Extra Info: rwd cargo

Postby stent [OP] » March 9th 2021, 1:46am

another month went by - the coolant leak is still plugged.
the $30.00 bottle of BAR'S LEAKS is amortizing nicely...
i got some more parts i need to take pics of to post here with the part numbers - water pump & radiator hoses; power steering pump & all 3 hoses.
i still plan on getting a higher output alternator but haven't decided on a specific one yet.

notes :
still haven't needed to add any coolant.
i have an Ultragauge OBDII scanner that displays the coolant temp numerically in degrees.
in the cold, colder & coldest weather we've had this winter the temperature is running right around the 180 degree thermostat - the Ultragauge is sensitive enough that you can watch the temp drop when the thermostat opens.
today is shirtsleeve warm & i ran some errands with the coolant temp at 186/188.
all the driving i've done so far with the goop plugging up the leak has been on city streets, but i go all over metro Denver.
no highway driving or high speed blasts.

green4.jpg
current screen pic - nutdriver handles

green3.jpg
tank level on 3-8-21

green6.jpg
Ultragauge OBDII scanner

:wave:
Original Poster [OP]
stent
Years of Membership: stent has been a member for 4 full yearsstent has been a member for 4 full yearsstent has been a member for 4 full yearsstent has been a member for 4 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby stent [OP] » April 11th 2021, 1:22am

screen of the moment - bon scott with booze :
bon.jpg
RIP

leak update :
a couple of weeks ago i smelled antifreeze when getting out of the van.
i've been checking the expansion tank level regularly and it was always full.
i checked the radiator at the filler neck and needed to add about a coke can's worth of antifreeze.
over the next few days i added about a half gallon of antifreeze to the radiator, the expansion tank stayed full, i think maybe the stopleak had plugged up the expansion tank hose. when i added the stopleak i did put about a third of the bottle INTO the expansion tank because it was freezing *** cold and the radiator wouldn't glug glug the whole bottle.
i never did try to force compressed air through the hose to verify a clog..
last week the level in the expansion tank dropped a little, i topped off the radiator & the expansion tank (it seems to be drawing antifreeze in & out again now) a few more times.
then the leak stopped again - yay!
i never did see any drips on the ground, but i could smell antifreeze several times.....i'm wondering if a clogged expansion tank hose could force antifreeze out of the radiator cap or somewhere else due to the pressure of heat expansion of the antifreeze......??
i was due for an oil change so i pulled the pan plug & let the pan drip dry - no sign of any antifreeze in the oil, also no sign of a new antifreeze leak while under the van.
now i am taking off the radiator cap & looking down the neck to check the level.

pics today :
leak.jpg
tank level on 4-10-21

leakk.jpg
radiator neck 4-10-21

i've been steadily collecting new parts & it's warmed up to where i won't freeze if i have to fix the leak right now.
throughout the time since i dumped the stopleak in, the van has never run hot & the heater core has not plugged up.
just got my second covid shot on april fools day (Pfizer, i didn't have any trouble with it for either shot other than feeling like somebody punched me in the arm).
i'll wait some more unless i can't control the leak - then i plan on parking the van in the back lot of my work for a week (maybe next month) & riding my bike & taking the light rail some while i thrash it out with tools..
Original Poster [OP]
stent
Alias (AKA):

Postby sixsixsixsix is online! » April 11th 2021, 10:02pm

Stent, I must say... you got the best lighting arrangement for your Now-Famous "Radiator Neck / Green Water" pics.
Keep 'em coming, I got a couple gig left... LOL

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:
"1 Nautilus died, BLM spawned, Antifa runs amok
- CRT & unions have taken schools by storm
THEN:
Not a single "Black" "Leader" condemns Black Crime
- White Supremacists get blamed for it all - they sure do get around"
sixsixsixsix is online!
Purple Status (L6)
Purple Status (L6)
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 7 full yearssixsix has been a member for 7 full yearssixsix has been a member for 7 full yearssixsix has been a member for 7 full yearssixsix has been a member for 7 full yearssixsix has been a member for 7 full yearssixsix has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 39
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K

Postby stent [OP] » May 5th 2021, 2:14am

Original Poster [OP]
stent
Alias (AKA):

Postby Sparkydog » May 5th 2021, 11:50pm

Looks like death by loose seat.
Sparkydog
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: Sparkydog has been a member for 2 full yearsSparkydog has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 13
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2003
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: AWD

Postby stent [OP] » May 11th 2021, 3:32am

Sparkydog wrote:Looks like death by loose seat.

it sure did slam Buster into the airbag.......i wonder if the seat mount studs in the floor sheared/pulled out or the bolts from the seat base to the seat itself pulled out.........there has to be a writeup of that test somewhere but i haven't tried looking :shrug:

on a different and way cooler note........i've been working on a project to change my '99 astro "black box" computer over to a 2002 safari "0411" computer. i found a tuner shop here in denver to change the JY 0411 computer i bought, over to my van's VIN & do some other stuff to it.
this is what they do for work at that shop every day :
WHAT.jpg

turn your sound Way up for this.......... :text-link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOVozYkribY :text-link:

last friday i dropped off my 0411 & when i got there saturday to pick it up, the shop owner asked me to hang loose for a few minutes. i sat down on a leather sofa and watched a shiny black corvette that was already strapped to the dyno rollers make this really angry pull (with my fingers in my ears) from about 10 feet away. the vette put up numbers similar to the camaro in the video. the shop owner makes the pulls, and after the vette did its thing he got out and said to me "it's loud isn't it". then we went to his office and he typed out an invoice for me.
i like this place............
:rockon: :rockon:
Original Poster [OP]
stent
Alias (AKA):

Postby stent [OP] » June 15th 2021, 6:11am

UH OH!!!
the van is officially incontinent again.......
leakr.jpg

leakr1.jpg

it was bound to happen sooner or later, and i'm just about ready to dive in with a bunch of new parts.
i've used about 1-1/2 gallons of anti-freeze in the last few weeks putting around town - the leak is not consistent in volume lost, the piddle on the pavement pic is from today & that's the biggest one yet. the pic down the expansion tank shows what i've dripped since last friday when i filled 'er up.

i've pretty much decided to swap on a newer intake manifold when i take it all apart. i got another JY intake, this one's from a 2003, it does not have the EGR setup. i'm gambling here that i can pass emissions without the EGR. they don't look under the hood, and late 2002 engines did away with it and don't seem to be much different otherwise from the '99. the 0411 PCM that i want to run is a late 2002 with the EGR turned off, so i'm kinda committing to making it all work together with no bad trouble codes by september, or else.....
here's some dirty pics of the 2 JY manifolds i've now collected (1st pic shows '99 on the left & the 2003 on the right, stripped) :
mans.jpg
1999 manifold on left. 2003 manifold on right

note that the coolant temp sensor is mounted right below the thermostat on the '99 manifold. the sender mounting boss is still there on the 2003 but it isn't drilled for the sender. the 2003 had the sender mounted on a cylinder head - i hadn't realized this yet when i pulled the manifold so i need to go back to the JY & investigate.

mans1.jpg
2003, no EGR

mans2.jpg
1999, with EGR

mans3.jpg
2003, from the side

mans4.jpg
1999, from the side

mans5.jpg
2003, not drilled for the coolant temp sender

mans6.jpg
inside look at the sender hole in the "99

mans7.jpg
solid aluminum boss on the 2003.

:dance:
Original Poster [OP]
stent
Alias (AKA):

Postby Bigforkg » June 15th 2021, 2:08pm

Why are you swapping intakes? If its to get rid of the egr get a ebay egr block of plate some even have the 2 plugs for the tube. They are about $15 or $20. A tap will cost you that if you dont have one.
Bigforkg
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: Bigforkg has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 11
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1998
Extra Info: V8 4x4 246Tcase

Postby sixsixsixsix is online! » June 15th 2021, 5:19pm

Coolant and temp sensor and / or sender.
Some Gens and years have both - one for gage ( sender ), one for ECM ( sensor ).
Sender is / was one wire and is between cyls. 3 & 5.
Sensor is multi wire and screws into front of motor near stat.

Info above based on Gen I - '92 w/ CPI

By now, I suppose things have changed.
THEN:
sixsixsixsix is online!
Purple Status (L6)
Purple Status (L6)
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 7 full yearssixsix has been a member for 7 full yearssixsix has been a member for 7 full yearssixsix has been a member for 7 full yearssixsix has been a member for 7 full yearssixsix has been a member for 7 full yearssixsix has been a member for 7 full years

Postby stent [OP] » June 15th 2021, 11:08pm

Bigforkg wrote:Why are you swapping intakes? If its to get rid of the egr get a ebay egr block of plate some even have the 2 plugs for the tube. They are about $15 or $20. A tap will cost you that if you dont have one.

hi Bigforkg,
i'm swapping because i have to take off the lower intake to change the leaking gasket anyway.
i want to completely do away with all EGR components and run the van with a newer PCM.
hopefully i can use the sender/sensor in the same manner as the newer engine and not have to drill out the intake.
Original Poster [OP]
stent
Alias (AKA):

Postby stent [OP] » June 15th 2021, 11:52pm

sixsix wrote:Coolant and temp sensor and / or sender.
Some Gens and years have both - one for gage ( sender ), one for ECM ( sensor ).
Sender is / was one wire and is between cyls. 3 & 5.
Sensor is multi wire and screws into front of motor near stat.

Info above based on Gen I - '92 w/ CPI

By now, I suppose things have changed.

hi mike,
thanks for the sensor/sender info!!
after thinking about what i did when i pulled the 2003 manifold, i believe the gage sender is still where you described it, & the ECM sensor is in the same hole as it relates to the other head - i remember cutting wires that went over both sides of the engine when i chopped up the harness - dang it !!!!
chopchop1.jpg
chop

chopchop.jpg
chopchop

i'm off work tomorrow & will be going back to the JY to examine the 2003 van i took the manifold off of. a '98 astro is 2 vehicles away from the 2003 so i plan to compare & contrast between the two, then bring back whatever i decide that i need for a working solution :think: .......i'll bring a little cooler with lunch & drinks & make a day of it. :wave:
Original Poster [OP]
stent
Alias (AKA):

Postby sixsixsixsix is online! » June 16th 2021, 3:07am

And those little wagons / wheelbarrows they have make that a little easier, don't they ?

KOBALT Rules !!
THEN:
sixsixsixsix is online!
Purple Status (L6)
Purple Status (L6)

Postby stent [OP] » June 23rd 2021, 7:49am

sixsix wrote:And those little wagons / wheelbarrows they have make that a little easier, don't they ?

KOBALT Rules !!

yes they do!!!
they got a new batch in too - i rolled one around that still had nice paint IN it.

i went back to the JY & took out the 2003 coolant temp sensor that screws into the head (the one that i cut the wires on) - it's the same as the one that screws in at the thermostat housing on the 1999 so i'm good to go...
temp.jpg
2003 with pigtail / 1999 without connector

temp1.jpg

temp2.jpg

Original Poster [OP]
stent
Alias (AKA):

Postby stent [OP] » June 29th 2021, 5:30am

sixsix wrote:And those little wagons / wheelbarrows they have make that a little easier, don't they ?

KOBALT Rules !!

20210628_143738_Burst01 2.jpg
ko-BALT! ko-BALT! ko-BALT!

i went back to the JY again today to get an AC compressor/PS pump bracket, & a PS pump pulley, to pre-assemble a new PS pump on the bracket for ease of reassembly when i take the van apart.
i took them from the same 2003 that i got the intake manifold from.
i also brought the cordless reciprocating saw & cut off most of the front panel that mounts the radiator & ac condenser.
i've got a camaro/firebird electric fan that i want to mount on the back of the bigger radiator that i bought :
DSCN2615.JPG

efan1.jpg

efan2.jpg

the Efans are the main reason i am going to update the ECM/PCM. instead of trying to figure out the mounting of all of this while leaning over the front panel i decided to hack this JY one out & will use it on a bench to mock everything up.

once i got the JY front panel stripped of everything it came out pretty easy.
i made all of the sawzall cuts first then took out the 2 body mount bolts.
20210628_143735_Burst01 2.jpg

20210628_143730_Burst01.jpg
the mechanical fan & PS pump pulley were MUCH easier to get off with the front end like this

20210628_143722_Burst01.jpg

20210628_143716_Burst01.jpg

my coolant drip is still under control - it's constantly leaking but not too bad.......
:banana:
Original Poster [OP]
stent
Alias (AKA):

Postby dcsleeper » June 29th 2021, 10:20am

stent wrote:i went back to the JY again today ...
i decided to hack this JY one out & will use it on a bench to mock everything up.

WOW
Please update your User Control Panel to include your location!!! it's in the upper right!
Profile | Edit signature

"In the time since I bought this van it has occurred to me that it was a great deal on a shed."
dcsleeper
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: dcsleeper has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 22
Alias (AKA): DC
Van Model Year: 2004
Extra Info: I have 2 1AWD 1RWD

Postby stent [OP] » July 21st 2021, 1:21am

the big spew is starting - time to park the van till i fix the leak...

UGH.jpg
filled expansion tank this morning before i left for work - less than 10 miles ago

UGH1.jpg
when i got to work i slid this drip pan under the front end to keep from leaving a puddle.....

it's still running fine, the oil is clean & it's not overheating.
:text-woo:
Original Poster [OP]
stent
Alias (AKA):

Postby sixsixsixsix is online! » July 21st 2021, 5:57pm

Looks like the pan we had in The Van - got caught in traffic and Jeannie's "nature called" - no woodsy areas around to pull over...

I know, TMI... but the spousal unit is running fine too.

:shock:
THEN:
sixsixsixsix is online!
Purple Status (L6)
Purple Status (L6)

Postby stent [OP] » Today, 7:39pm

sixsix wrote:Looks like the pan we had in The Van - got caught in traffic and Jeannie's "nature called" - no woodsy areas around to pull over...

I know, TMI... but the spousal unit is running fine too.

:shock:

:rofl: :puke-front: :rofl: :puke-front:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUwd737mioM
Original Poster [OP]
stent
Alias (AKA):

Previous