Undercoating

Undercoating

Postby ccookie66 [OP] » August 27th 2012, 2:50pm

As some of you may know, snow was found in Maine. I said **** this ****, I'm undercoating. I wanna know, how is the right way to do it? What do I undercoat? I have it in a spray can. I was thinking of scraping down the old, loose rust and just spraying it all down. Everything under there. Most of you are from the east, so maybe undercoating is unnecessary. Thanks.
The Astro is always a turn key away from adventure.
Original Poster [OP]
ccookie66
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: ccookie66 has been a member for 9 full yearsccookie66 has been a member for 9 full yearsccookie66 has been a member for 9 full yearsccookie66 has been a member for 9 full yearsccookie66 has been a member for 9 full yearsccookie66 has been a member for 9 full yearsccookie66 has been a member for 9 full yearsccookie66 has been a member for 9 full yearsccookie66 has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 139
Alias (AKA): Cameron
Van Model Year: 1992
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 TBI Shorty

Re: Undercoating

Postby chevymaher » August 27th 2012, 3:03pm

Yep you got it. Scrape off all the rust you can. Wire brush it after that if you feel frisky. Then hose it all down with the undercoating.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 91
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby ccookie66 [OP] » August 27th 2012, 3:12pm

Look at that. A reply in a matter of minutes, not days. Can you believe I'm still waiting for a reply to my cruise control issue on the Furd forum? Its been like two days, and it has only like 5 views.
Original Poster [OP]
ccookie66
Years of Membership: ccookie66 has been a member for 9 full yearsccookie66 has been a member for 9 full yearsccookie66 has been a member for 9 full yearsccookie66 has been a member for 9 full yearsccookie66 has been a member for 9 full yearsccookie66 has been a member for 9 full yearsccookie66 has been a member for 9 full yearsccookie66 has been a member for 9 full yearsccookie66 has been a member for 9 full years

Postby Ragenme » August 27th 2012, 3:30pm

I spray in the nooks and crannies first. They take longer to dry. I have a wire brush for my drill it makes it easy and fast. Ware something you never want to see again too. It goes everywhere. I wore goggles and a hat.
ragenme If you can't fix it with a hammer then its probably a electrical problem!
Ragenme
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Ragenme has been a member for 8 full yearsRagenme has been a member for 8 full yearsRagenme has been a member for 8 full yearsRagenme has been a member for 8 full yearsRagenme has been a member for 8 full yearsRagenme has been a member for 8 full yearsRagenme has been a member for 8 full yearsRagenme has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 16
Alias (AKA): Ragenme
Van Model Year: 1998
Extra Info: SLX 4.3 V6 RWD

Postby chevymaher » August 27th 2012, 3:38pm

ccookie66 wrote:Look at that. A reply in a matter of minutes, not days. Can you believe I'm still waiting for a reply to my cruise control issue on the Furd forum? Its been like two days, and it has only like 5 views.

Your the one who went and got a FURD and went to the FURD forum.
Guess we weren't good enough for you anymore.
:poke: :poke: :poke:
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 91
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby ccookie66 [OP] » August 27th 2012, 3:59pm

Don't say that Randy. Of course you guys are good enough. Remember, that Astro would be a tin can if it wasn't for you guys. You guys really helped me out. Couldn't do it without you.

I did NOT want a Furd. Plus, the only reason I went to a Furd forum is because I didn't think it was right asking questions about a Furd on a Chevy site. We got it for $300 because the Astro quit running. I decided to fix the Astro, while the Furd replaced it temporarily. Actually, come to think of it....when I was like 8, I remember asking my dad if someday I can drive the Astro. It sat out there year by year. I would go out and sit in the drivers seat. I always dreamed of it. The very best car I have ever drove or rode in.....never gonna let go of it. There is nothing out there like it. If something major happens to it, I rebuild it. It will ALWAYS be in the family.
Original Poster [OP]
ccookie66

Postby scottnhalifax » August 27th 2012, 6:29pm

i live in nova scotia and use rust check or fluid film as a good barrier. make sure you hit the rockers, fuel, brake lines hard. i just bought a 2000 that was undercoated every year and very little rust on it
cheers
scottnhalifax
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: scottnhalifax has been a member for 9 full yearsscottnhalifax has been a member for 9 full yearsscottnhalifax has been a member for 9 full yearsscottnhalifax has been a member for 9 full yearsscottnhalifax has been a member for 9 full yearsscottnhalifax has been a member for 9 full yearsscottnhalifax has been a member for 9 full yearsscottnhalifax has been a member for 9 full yearsscottnhalifax has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 4
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2002
Extra Info: Ls awd

Postby gmcvanman » November 30th 2012, 3:24pm

ccookie66 wrote:As some of you may know, snow was found in Maine. I said **** this ****, I'm undercoating. I wanna know, how is the right way to do it? What do I undercoat? I have it in a spray can. I was thinking of scraping down the old, loose rust and just spraying it all down. Everything under there. Most of you are from the east, so maybe undercoating is unnecessary. Thanks.

hey forrest i have a post in this reguard '100% rustproofing if u havent done it yet take a look, i guarentee itl work :poke:
260k n counting, future LS3 mustang killer :-)
gmcvanman
Years of Membership: gmcvanman has been a member for 8 full yearsgmcvanman has been a member for 8 full yearsgmcvanman has been a member for 8 full yearsgmcvanman has been a member for 8 full yearsgmcvanman has been a member for 8 full yearsgmcvanman has been a member for 8 full yearsgmcvanman has been a member for 8 full yearsgmcvanman has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 48
Alias (AKA): safariowner vanman
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: rwd 4.3l cargo van

Postby markmitch » January 10th 2013, 1:50pm

Being from this area of the country I have to say a few things: Undercoating is a band-aid fix at best and if you don't do it correctly then its pointless. So first you need to wash as much grease dirt and such off. Then wire brush and sand where ever you can. Then go to a car wash and wash the **** out of it again to knock loose crap off. After all that you need to get a couple cans of Rustoleum paint and paint as much as possible . after that drys then you undercoat. This will get much more areas sealed from the elements. Some times you can get Rustoleum in any off color cheap at Walmart because new colors came out. Also this spring I will be removing my body mounts to replace with poly mounts I have left over from another project so if you remind me come warmer weather you can have the stock ones just pay shipping from NH to you or we can meat somewhere 1/2 way. Mark
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L6)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full years
Topics: 629
Alias (AKA): 1st gen or frankenvan
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: RS V8 AWD