Have you gotten to clean your carpet?

Have you gotten to clean your carpet?

Postby Shadow98 [OP] » October 22nd 2012, 10:12pm

My Astro's carped is starting to look bad. Some patches of water stains from last winter that have turn some how blackish, Little bro got oil in his fingers and wipe them in the sealing -_- :roll: And a lot of dirt and cement that you can't see but if you hit the carped you can see it all escape the carped and turn into a cloud of dust. Has any one try to clean their carpet with some spray chemical or something of those that turn to bubbles after a while and then just vacuum them? Do they really work? any advise in what to buy and what works best in removing those water stains?

I do know it would look like new if done by some one professionally but don't want to use a lot of money in that so I just want to clean it by my self at home with out to much expensive stuff and just wanted to get some opinions of what products act the best.

Any recommendations in removing the oil finger prints from the sealing would REALLY appreciate it XD

Some say to make a mixture of the chemical and water but after that doesn't the water penetrate under the carped and make it soggy for some days???

Thanks
-Shadow
Original Poster [OP]
Shadow98
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Years of Membership: Shadow98 has been a member for 8 full yearsShadow98 has been a member for 8 full yearsShadow98 has been a member for 8 full yearsShadow98 has been a member for 8 full yearsShadow98 has been a member for 8 full yearsShadow98 has been a member for 8 full yearsShadow98 has been a member for 8 full yearsShadow98 has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 10
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: V6 Z 4.3L TBI RWD

Re: Have you gotten to clean your carpet?

Postby chevymaherchevymaher is online! » October 22nd 2012, 11:26pm

Carpet cleaner with a hose attachment. Use simple green as cleaning agent. I just did the truck when I got it like that. New looking carpet again.

Did the same thing to the van when I got it. It had a crankcase of black motorcycle oil leak into it fron a thrown rock/cracked case. Got it all out.
chevymaherchevymaher is online!
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 90
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby Ragenme » October 22nd 2012, 11:27pm

As far as the ceiling. My buddys a detailer. He tells me to used glass cleaner on a towel. Just spray it on the towel and dab and a lite rub. As for the carpet you can rent a carpet cleaner or use a scrub brush and cleaner.
ragenme If you can't fix it with a hammer then its probably a electrical problem!
Ragenme
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Ragenme has been a member for 8 full yearsRagenme has been a member for 8 full yearsRagenme has been a member for 8 full yearsRagenme has been a member for 8 full yearsRagenme has been a member for 8 full yearsRagenme has been a member for 8 full yearsRagenme has been a member for 8 full yearsRagenme has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 16
Alias (AKA): Ragenme
Van Model Year: 1998
Extra Info: SLX 4.3 V6 RWD

Postby Don1806 » October 22nd 2012, 11:31pm

I had oil stains in my carpet and a little grease on the seats after an engine swap. Mequiar's Quik Out worked well for the oil based spots and stains. For light overall cleaning I like Tuff Stuff - spray on, scrub lightly, and vacuum out.
99 Astro LT - Orginal Owner.
New Engine at 140,000 miles due to intake gasket failure. Hoping to at least double that.
Don1806
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Don1806 has been a member for 10 full yearsDon1806 has been a member for 10 full yearsDon1806 has been a member for 10 full yearsDon1806 has been a member for 10 full yearsDon1806 has been a member for 10 full yearsDon1806 has been a member for 10 full yearsDon1806 has been a member for 10 full yearsDon1806 has been a member for 10 full yearsDon1806 has been a member for 10 full yearsDon1806 has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 18
Alias (AKA): Don
Van Model Year: 1999
Extra Info: AWD 170K

Postby Shadow98 [OP] » October 22nd 2012, 11:53pm

chevymaher wrote:Carpet cleaner with a hose attachment. Use simple green as cleaning agent. I just did the truck when I got it like that. New looking carpet again.

can I apply simple green to it and scrub it and then vacuum it out??? might not be that expensive to rent a carpet cleaner but I want to to it as cheap as possible with the things I already have.
Original Poster [OP]
Shadow98
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Years of Membership: Shadow98 has been a member for 8 full yearsShadow98 has been a member for 8 full yearsShadow98 has been a member for 8 full yearsShadow98 has been a member for 8 full yearsShadow98 has been a member for 8 full yearsShadow98 has been a member for 8 full yearsShadow98 has been a member for 8 full yearsShadow98 has been a member for 8 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby Shadow98 [OP] » October 22nd 2012, 11:56pm

Ragenme wrote:He tells me to used glass cleaner on a towel. Just spray it on the towel and dab and a lite rub.

Glass cleaner????? as in like windex????? wow thats a new one. Would give it a try because you look up and you see the 5 fingers of the hand. Hard to miss XD
Original Poster [OP]
Shadow98
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby DrPop » October 23rd 2012, 1:14am

I second the Tuff Stuff. I have seen it at both Pep Boys and Autozone, and I believe Walmart? as well. In fact, if I remember right, it's even on sale at Autozone right now. The carpet was really bad looking - lots of black grease spots on this van when we got it. Two cans of Tuff Stuff with a brush later and it looks GOOD. :D You will need to put some elbow grease into it with a scrub brush, but can't think of any cheaper way to do it. I would vacuum it after you scrub the Tuff Stuff in with the brush.
1993 Chevy Astro EXT High Top Conversion RWD
DrPop
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Years of Membership: DrPop has been a member for 8 full yearsDrPop has been a member for 8 full yearsDrPop has been a member for 8 full yearsDrPop has been a member for 8 full yearsDrPop has been a member for 8 full yearsDrPop has been a member for 8 full yearsDrPop has been a member for 8 full yearsDrPop has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 14
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1993
Extra Info: Hi-Top Conversion

Postby Lumpy » October 23rd 2012, 1:31am

Simple green is what I use to clean all my carpets, cars and house. Dog pee stains, boot grease, dead bodies stacked up in the corner. SG takes it all out. Not soapy. Dilute it well. Seems to work better the more you dilute. I use about 10:1 water to SG. Brush a little bit on really tough stains with an old toothbrush. Vacuum while wet. Leaves the place smelling like licorice. Or get the citrus scented kind. Smells like lemon licorice.

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 261
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo

Postby Ragenme » October 23rd 2012, 1:38am

And if none of that works you can always dye it!
ragenme If you can't fix it with a hammer then its probably a electrical problem!
Ragenme
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Years of Membership: Ragenme has been a member for 8 full yearsRagenme has been a member for 8 full yearsRagenme has been a member for 8 full yearsRagenme has been a member for 8 full yearsRagenme has been a member for 8 full yearsRagenme has been a member for 8 full yearsRagenme has been a member for 8 full yearsRagenme has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 16
Alias (AKA): Ragenme
Van Model Year: 1998
Extra Info: SLX 4.3 V6 RWD

Postby Shadow98 [OP] » October 23rd 2012, 1:56am

Lump now that you bring up "smell" Has any one found a type of perfume for car that would make it smell like a new car out of the dealership??

I have always wonder that. The one I use the most is the pine tree thingy call black ice :D

Have always wonder that about the new car smell.

So I can use those stain removers also in the sealing of the car were the oil fingers are???

Tuff Stuff and Simple Green are getting a lot of positive feedback. :chevy:
Original Poster [OP]
Shadow98
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby Lumpy » October 23rd 2012, 3:12am

3m 777 aerosol contact cement. DON'T spray it like air freshener. It's glue. It's the glue you're smelling in a new car, at least I think it is. Personally I hate the smell of most any kind of perfume, scent, freshener. But I think it's the plastic, glue, rubber and so forth in a new car that we smell.

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 261
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo

Postby chrisgerman1983 » October 23rd 2012, 5:07am

In my '94 the carpet was so dirty that I took it out and washed it at the car-wash! The amount of dirt that comes out of a carpet that size is amazing. It looked brand new after.
chrisgerman1983
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Years of Membership: chrisgerman1983 has been a member for 8 full yearschrisgerman1983 has been a member for 8 full yearschrisgerman1983 has been a member for 8 full yearschrisgerman1983 has been a member for 8 full yearschrisgerman1983 has been a member for 8 full yearschrisgerman1983 has been a member for 8 full yearschrisgerman1983 has been a member for 8 full yearschrisgerman1983 has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 11
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1996

Postby Shadow98 [OP] » October 23rd 2012, 6:48pm

Lumpy wrote:3m 777 aerosol contact cement. DON'T spray it like air freshener. It's glue.

Might try that one day put some in a square of cardboard and hide it some were. Or something like that.

But so you have used that thing for other stuff and it does kind of smell like that new car smell? sort of?

As for cleaning carpet I think I'm going to go with the Tuff Stuff. Ill try it one of this days that I get time. If doesn't work will go with simple green.

Any other suggestion for the oil fingers in the ceiling besides using glass cleaner??? Or also use the Tuff Stuff there?

Tuff Stuff has gotten 5 stars by 4 people cleaning the car carpets of messes so I am convince in buying that.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tuff-Stuff-Fo ... z/16817397
Original Poster [OP]
Shadow98
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby cowboydan » October 31st 2012, 7:53pm

i use the little green machine by Bissell. works awsome. even gets the corrigated floor of the back area. i'm going to double up on the underlay in those grooves to try and level out the corrigated floor. then shampooing the van won't be as teedious.
97 astro 4.3w AWD hotrod stand in and multi purpose custom cruizer: DD
2006 sebring 2.7 touring: DD
1990 f150 super cab 5.8/ 351w dual fuel: dq
1980 buick regal sport coupe???
1976 460/c6 ford e350 21' motorhome project
cowboydan
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: cowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 67
Alias (AKA): cbd
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: 4.3w CL AWD

Postby Leeann_93 » October 31st 2012, 11:24pm

^ I use the same. It's an amazing device. Got old (and new) coolant and lots of nasty dirt and grease out of the Safari's carpet.
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby Big_kid » November 1st 2012, 2:26am

I've used the old garden hose in the driveway on the wifes van & my old caprice. The Astro got carpet when I got it so I've not had to clean it yet. 4 years & only 10K miles.
95 Astro Conversion of unknown irrelevant lineage
We have enough youth. How about a fountain of smart?
Big_kid
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Big_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 185
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: 2WD 5.7 V8

Postby cowboydan » November 2nd 2012, 1:31am

i use to do that, mostly for mud. but since i got rid of the my bronco, i no longer get enough build up to warrent that kind of dousing.
97 astro 4.3w AWD hotrod stand in and multi purpose custom cruizer: DD
2006 sebring 2.7 touring: DD
1990 f150 super cab 5.8/ 351w dual fuel: dq
1980 buick regal sport coupe???
1976 460/c6 ford e350 21' motorhome project
cowboydan
Years of Membership: cowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 67
Alias (AKA): cbd
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: 4.3w CL AWD