Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

New member from 'Bama 2 Astros in yard

1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  redfury 
#1 ·
New to the board but not to Astros. I have a 97 that ran real good until someone spun in front of it on the interstate (ouch). Still working on it, radiator supports,etc all jacked up so still working to cut the nose off and getting one to re-weld to it. The second is a 2002, which up until Monday was running great lol. Now it is giving me fits.

Both are just broken in good at approx 200k miles. I haven't had to do anything major to either just yet, 4 fuel pumps, 2 alternators, one water pump, repair ac vacuum line, a couple of belts and of course brakes/tires, lights.

I seem to have to learn everything the hard way lol but eventually learn but all advice appreciated.

This is the 97 on the side of the road right after the accident.
astro 001.jpg

See less See more
#5 ·
I would just check the MAF sensor. It could through an monkey wrench into the whole plan

As for the speedo, beats me bud... Sorry

Keep it goin, would like to know whats doing what. Welcome to the Board :rockon:
~Junior

#8 ·
jrsride2002 said:
I would just check the MAF sensor. It could through an monkey wrench into the whole plan

As for the speedo, beats me bud... Sorry

Keep it goin, would like to know whats doing what. Welcome to the Board :rockon:
~Junior
Well, it cranks right up right now. Drove it tonight for a bit. Hard to tell, the doghouse was off so noisier. Will look up how to check the MAF. The speedo bumped and dropped off of 100 and seems to be working now..

Makes me nervous, Saturday it drove fine, Sunday, it wouldn't crank. The battery was a little weak but it wouldn't jump off, turned over but no fire. Added the gas and it finally fired.. The new fuel pump/sending unit shows empty at about 15 gallons even though there is plenty of fuel in it at that point. When it was parked it was just above where the low fuel light would come on. Will do more testing tomorrow.. Just plain strange.

#10 ·
Could be the wrong year fuel pump if the gauge isn't reading right or you have a stuck float or bent the float arm.

I should be getting my van back from the spin out I encountered last thursday. Fortunately for me, it was on ice so the impact was minimized ( and the fact that we were all doing about 30mph helped.

Try removing your gas cap if you have problems with it again...stranger things have fixed these vans and removing the gas cap and ultimately replacing it fixed another members van.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.