Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

PCV valve.

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  generaljake01 
#1 ·
Just a quick question. on a 91 does the PCV valve sit in a rubber grommet? Mine does have 1, and it doesnt seem like there is no room for 1. It sits in pretty snugly.

#2 ·
Hi fede

Every PCV valve I have ever replaced (about 100, (including mine)), were mounted in a rubber grommet. Maybe I'm misunderstanding your question here. Have any Pictures of it? Thanks.:)

#3 ·
sorry i didn't read over my question before, i meant to say there isn't a rubber grommet in my valve cover. The PCV valve just sits directly in the valve cover, but it fits in very snugly so it doesn't even seem like a grommet would fit around it. I just wanted to know if a 91 has a is supposed to have a rubber grommet. Also would i be able to pick one up at any auto parts store?
hope that clears my question up a bit. Ill try to get some pics as well

#4 ·
Hi fede

That's what I thought you meant. ? . No, that's not normal. If you think about it, the PCV valve is vacuum. Vacuum has a very strange way of finding a path with least resistance to draw air from, in this case, it would be around the 2 metal pieces (valve cover and the PCV valve itself).

Their needs to be a rubber grommet in between those 2 metal pieces to prevent that from happening (air leaks). Why someone would do that, is another question. Hope this helps.:)

#5 ·
Yes there HAS to be a grommet in it...you could be using the wrong pcv valve if it fits tight without the rubber...Ive heard lots of complaints about the grommet leaking oil from the valve cover...someone (prior owner??) may have just removed yours and got a larger PCV valve to cram in there.... :2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.