Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Transmission shifts slow in reverse

4K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  $uperJoe 
#1 ·
Hey everybody i got a ??? when i put my van in reverese it takes a while for the transmission to kick in but when i put it in drive its great, I check my fluid on my stick while it was running in park then i check it in neutral and it read good on the stick, in or a little bit over the checkered lines, but my transmission fluid has been dripping on the ground from i think that little hole in the tail housing and i have to plug that up, but its funny cause its not showing on the stick that i have been losing fluid. what do you guys think it is, could it just be my fluid is low???

#3 ·
sounds as if the band in the trans for reverse needs to be tightened. how many miles and how long has it been doing this. usually reverse is first to go before a rebuild

#6 ·
The transmission has about 70,000 i took it from a s10 pick up, i notice a leak around my output seal i thought the seal was broke so i took the drive shaft out last night and replace the seal then i notice the fluid was very high on the stick, it was two qts too full i couldnt believe it. so i drop the pan a little and let the fluid leak out cause i couldnt find a drain plug and i dont know if it has one on these transmissions but anyway there is still a little dripping around the tail housing seal. One thing is that my van sits a little lower in the rear than the front because theres a 1500 pound load back there so im thinking the fluid is just shifting out cause of that, but back to the problem of my reverse kicking in slow i think its going out i dont know i have to tap on the gas kinda hard to make it back up.And one more thing i notice that the transmission fluid was dirty red blackish color. what do you guys think i should try next.

#7 ·
next i would save my money for a trans rebuild. drive it easy till it goes and then pull it for the shop to give it the once over

#8 ·
Ok. i look under there this morning and no fluid on the ground, Also i saw on another topic that if your filter comes out of place and isn't in correct or it the wrong filter it could cause your trans to act like this. And i did replace my trans with one from a s10 and i think we swap the filter from my old trans cause it was new. I guess i should drop my pan and check out that filter. Oh and i forgot to tell you my rear end is going bad sometimes i come to a stop at the light and when i pull off it kinda locks up, but it pops loose and goes forward. i have to get that rear end fix next, but do you think that rear end problem is making the reverse act up??

#10 ·
What causes your rear brakes to stick i know i change the rear brakes and drums but i dont remember if it was doing it before i change them. I never change the brake fluid it looks kinda dirty. Its like i can be at the light and take my foot off the brake and it doesnt move then i tap the gas and it pops back there like something is getting stuck up.

#11 ·
sticking like that is common when the pinion is loose. it gets too far into the ring and a lil under it. then with some torque it climbs out of the "hole" its in and is free. could also be the brakes sticking as leeann_93 stated

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.