Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Leaking brake line

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Ignatz 
#1 ·
I just got my van back from the shop after the rear end broke loose from the springs, and now I ran low on brake fluid. On the right front wheel where the rubber caliper hose goes into the steel line.....its leaking. The line is rusted bad. Are there any kits that have "pre-bent lines" with the fittings on, or does everything just get fabricated at this point. I don't mind spending a couple of bucks if it will save me time. Thanks

#4 ·
Remove the line and measure the length as best you can. A decent auto parts store will carry the lines with fittings in various straight lengths, you'll just need to get a tub bender ( which they should carry) and bend it to fit. Use the old line as a bending guide.

#5 ·
I just went underneath the van and saw it runs to the other side of the van along the engine crossmember. I'll try to yank it out and take the line somewhere to get some tubing and fittings. Looks like the other brake lines are getting ready to go too!

#7 ·
Never new anyone made kits. Action Auto ( small local chain) real parts store sells the lines with fittings in a bunch of lengths. Been getting them there sense I as a wee lad of 15 or so.

#8 ·
Ignatz said:
I just went underneath the van and saw it runs to the other side of the van along the engine crossmember. I'll try to yank it out and take the line somewhere to get some tubing and fittings. Looks like the other brake lines are getting ready to go too!
And before you hank off that line make sure you plug the other end first. You don't want to have to bench bleed that master cylinder as well, that will give you a bad day.

#9 ·
I'm ordering a complete set from Classic tube after another line started leaking while trying to remove the original line. When it rains it pours. I'll report back on how the repair goes. I'm just going to order everything new, like clips, hoses and rebuilt calipers and hopefully just start bolting away. I do like my van!

#10 ·
Unfortunetly I ordered the brake lines the week that UPS has off Thursday and Friday! I'm hopeing to get the lines Monday. I pulled out the old rusted lines and did'nt break one clip! The body on my van is solid and will last for years, but things like my A-arms, brake lines, tie rods, and other things are heavily rusted. Its probably time to look for a newer cargo van this summer. ....Do rusted lower A-arms on these vans break?..................My van is an older Zee Medical supply van and later was an artist's van, so it never hauled anything heavy, or even carried a passenger.

#11 ·
The rubber hoses should be available through a parts store locally. They may have to order it and you should be able to pick them up the next day. The hard steel lines, they will have in different lengths. Those you will have to shape to fit. On the rusted a-arms, I suggest putting good quality pics here. It may just be surface rust, which is typical. But if you can put a screwdriver through it, I would get a set out of a junkyard. Especially with the abundance of cash for clunker vehicles that are in great shape!

#12 ·
Well, the brake lines I ordered on Nov 22 finally came today. Of course the front group of lines are all wrong. I thought I was doing a smart thing by ordering pre-bent tubes but had no idea that it would take this long. Naturally I put on new calipers and have new rubber brake lines ready!
What a mess! I'll just box this stuff up and send it back. I was hoping to give everyone good news, about how easy the job went!
Not sure what my next step is. Unfortunetly, I have to repair the brakes just to get it down the driveway in case I just want to have it hauled away.
Time to regroup!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.