Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Can a 4 cylinder Astro qualify as "Collectible"?

3K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  Tygre II 
#1 ·
I ran across an ad for an Astro for sale, and the guy was touting the 4 cylinder engine
as a SELLING point since it was "Collectible".
Certainly, that engine makes it an unusual find, but I wondered if members would really
WANT a van like that and would be willing to pay extra for that feature?

I tried unsuccessfully to find the ad again, but my recollection was that the price wasn't ridiculously high,
but still it was considerably more than an average 1986 Astro.

#2 ·
Well as in anything else...........a lot depends on who is the collector. :poke:

Any knowing Astro van enthusiast knows full well what a dog they are and can't get out of their own way,are more problematic to do a V8 swap,if a 4speed stick shift have trannies that don't hold up to any swaps either,etc,etc.

In my point of view,kind of a useless money pit. :2:

#3 ·
Gary said:
Well as in anything else...........a lot depends on who is the collector. :poke:

Any knowing Astro van enthusiast knows full well what a dog they are and can't get out of their own way,are more problematic to do a V8 swap,if a 4speed stick shift have trannies that don't hold up to any swaps either,etc,etc.

In my point of view,kind of a useless money pit. :2:
Agreed

#7 ·
Mr_Bowtie said:
Anything in WI is considered a collector after 20 years, but if its worth collecting thats another question. :lol:
I second that. I see cars on ebay every now and then which are advertised as being "rare" but most purchasers of that era did not request any of those features... like a k-car convertible with wood grain panels.

#9 ·
It's a collector alright.... a rust collector! 24 years of salted roads?

When I saw that K car (nice reliant automobile there) all I could think was "Family Truckster"! :lol:

#14 ·
offroad safari said:
a K car with a continential kit, now i've seen everything
Still, a white continental kit on my white cargo van might make it a collector item.

But it would have to 'split' at the rear doors so I can get in & out! :lol:

#16 ·
I just bought a 86 astro cargo van with a 4 cyl with a 5 spd for $400 and its only got 82296 miles on it the body is perfectly straight and no rust hole justhe normal surface rust i have seen on all the white astros. I dont see where it would be something to boost the value up any since most states consider anything over 20 years old to be a classic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.