Replaced door handle, door still wont open

Replaced door handle, door still wont open

Postby Tiny [OP] » April 2nd 2010, 12:08am

When I got my 2001 cargo the rear door latch was snapped off. I ordered a new handle from partsgeeks.com and it arrived yesterday. I went out today crawled in the back and pulled the rear interior panel off and started to fiddle with the latch till the door popped open. Quick easy fix unbolt old handle bolt on new one, close door. Try to open it... wont open, take key from pocket and unlock door to be sure its not just locked. Discover rear door lock doesn't match my key, use climb back inside and unlock rear door from interior hinge, and open door.

With the door open I took a screw driver to simulate striker pin and latch the door. Handle does actuate the rod but not as far as it needs to in order to unlatch the door. Am I missing an adjustment somewhere? Doe I need to try and straighten the rod just a bit to try and take up some of the slack for the handle, Did I somehow order the wrong part even though it all bolts up fine?
2001 Chavy Astro Cargo
1987 Pontiac Fiero GT Getrag 5spd
1988 Pontiac Fiero SE Isuzu 5spd *Parts car*
1984 Yamaha Venture Royale
Original Poster [OP]
Tiny
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Years of Membership: Tiny has been a member for 11 full yearsTiny has been a member for 11 full yearsTiny has been a member for 11 full yearsTiny has been a member for 11 full yearsTiny has been a member for 11 full yearsTiny has been a member for 11 full yearsTiny has been a member for 11 full yearsTiny has been a member for 11 full yearsTiny has been a member for 11 full yearsTiny has been a member for 11 full yearsTiny has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 13
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: Cargo RWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Rear bottom door wont open
    by Diablo_deth » January 2nd 2021, 7:42am in Exterior
    1 Replies
    Last post by Rod's Trucks View the latest post
    January 2nd 2021, 8:23am
  • Dutch door handle part number?
    by Coyotecamper » September 7th 2020, 4:53am in Exterior
    5 Replies
    Last post by Coyotecamper View the latest post
    September 7th 2020, 8:15pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    March 7th 2021, 1:10pm

Re: Replaced door handle, door still wont open

Postby 1992RS » April 2nd 2010, 1:41am

My first guess would be that a rod got bent somewhere and needs to be adjusted or replaced maybe some one on here has a pic that could guide you in the right direction
1992 Astro RS
174,000 miles
Rebuilt top end
stock tranny
1992RS
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: 1992RS has been a member for 11 full years1992RS has been a member for 11 full years1992RS has been a member for 11 full years1992RS has been a member for 11 full years1992RS has been a member for 11 full years1992RS has been a member for 11 full years1992RS has been a member for 11 full years1992RS has been a member for 11 full years1992RS has been a member for 11 full years1992RS has been a member for 11 full years1992RS has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 38
Alias (AKA): tony
Extra Info: RS 4.3v rwd

Postby Tiny [OP] » April 2nd 2010, 3:30am

1992RS wrote:My first guess would be that a rod got bent somewhere and needs to be adjusted or replaced maybe some one on here has a pic that could guide you in the right direction

Had thought about bending it but didn't want to until I got some advice on here.
2001 Chavy Astro Cargo
Original Poster [OP]
Tiny
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Years of Membership: Tiny has been a member for 11 full yearsTiny has been a member for 11 full yearsTiny has been a member for 11 full yearsTiny has been a member for 11 full yearsTiny has been a member for 11 full yearsTiny has been a member for 11 full yearsTiny has been a member for 11 full yearsTiny has been a member for 11 full yearsTiny has been a member for 11 full yearsTiny has been a member for 11 full yearsTiny has been a member for 11 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby 1992RS » April 2nd 2010, 3:42am

SO, with the door panel off if you pull on the rod it opens the door easily?? but with the handle the rod just doesnt have enough travel?? if so I would say something is out of adjustement I.E. a bent bar or one that is not bent enough. or maybe the latch needs to be lubed have you tried lubing the latching mechanism I would try that first then if it doesnt work then try looking into other issues
1992 Astro RS
174,000 miles
Rebuilt top end
stock tranny
1992RS
Years of Membership: 1992RS has been a member for 11 full years1992RS has been a member for 11 full years1992RS has been a member for 11 full years1992RS has been a member for 11 full years1992RS has been a member for 11 full years1992RS has been a member for 11 full years1992RS has been a member for 11 full years1992RS has been a member for 11 full years1992RS has been a member for 11 full years1992RS has been a member for 11 full years1992RS has been a member for 11 full years

Postby Tiny [OP] » April 2nd 2010, 4:23am

1992RS wrote:SO, with the door panel off if you pull on the rod it opens the door easily?? but with the handle the rod just doesnt have enough travel?? if so I would say something is out of adjustement I.E. a bent bar or one that is not bent enough. or maybe the latch needs to be lubed have you tried lubing the latching mechanism I would try that first then if it doesnt work then try looking into other issues

Latch moves like butter from the inside and the handle doesn't get bound or anything it just runs out of travel before the latch opens. gonna tweak the rod a lil straighter. I think that should solve that.
2001 Chavy Astro Cargo
Original Poster [OP]
Tiny
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby 1992RS » April 2nd 2010, 4:49am

so wouldnt you need to bend the bar a lil more to increase the travel caused by the handle moving?
1992 Astro RS
174,000 miles
Rebuilt top end
stock tranny
1992RS

Postby Bread Van » April 8th 2010, 10:36pm

Do you have power locks. My power lock failed in the "locked" position, causing a similar problem. On the rear door ,the lock mechanism isn't real obvious. I had to stare at it a number of times before I saw the little piece that I could manually flip. I'm talking about the lower dutch door, barn doors may be different.
Bread Van
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Bread Van has been a member for 10 full yearsBread Van has been a member for 10 full yearsBread Van has been a member for 10 full yearsBread Van has been a member for 10 full yearsBread Van has been a member for 10 full yearsBread Van has been a member for 10 full yearsBread Van has been a member for 10 full yearsBread Van has been a member for 10 full yearsBread Van has been a member for 10 full yearsBread Van has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 36
Alias (AKA): mapper
Van Model Year: 2003
Extra Info: AWD 2 inch lift

Postby zerotool » August 17th 2018, 4:00am

pulling the handle to the full travel and the door latch still will not click open is caused by a failed circlip and or bent linkage rod. So , you need a document clip in the gallery photos. You need a 3/4" size.Squeeze the handles on the clip and fit it around the rod. I used long pliers or long surgery tongs. That will take up the slack that causes the long travel when trying to open the door. the fix stays fixed. you also might need to straighten the bent rod. See my other post. Old post , new fix, for continuing problem........ :ty: :ty:
Attachments
MVC-054S.JPG
3/4" office supply clip
zerotool
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: zerotool has been a member for 7 full yearszerotool has been a member for 7 full yearszerotool has been a member for 7 full yearszerotool has been a member for 7 full yearszerotool has been a member for 7 full yearszerotool has been a member for 7 full yearszerotool has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 25
Alias (AKA): DFW
Van Model Year: 1999
Extra Info: 184000mi RWD cargo

Postby Leeann_93 » August 17th 2018, 9:53pm

And this thread is over 8 years old.

ONE post is sufficient. You don't need to spam every thread you find.
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: LS AWD

Fixing drivers door handle inside latch rods linkage

Postby zerotool » October 12th 2019, 1:13am

when the door clicks open only after the handle travels to the last 1/32" , then you need a 1/2" document clip and likely a zip plastic wire tie to bind the 2 linkage rods together to secure the latch rod into the nylon hole, to stop the popping out problem. Photo shows the document clip clipped onto the latch rod and the 2 parallel rods are held together by a zip tie (left rod behind webbing and right rod next to spring and not too tight). You can avoid buying and installing a new door handle. i cut out a larger hole with a Dremel Rotary tool to make servicing the linkages easy. When it gets hard to open the door, some people pull too hard on the door handle and bhttps://www.astrosafari.com/posting.ph ... p=1528650# :ty: break it.
Attachments
MVC-132S.JPG
Document clip on door latch rod
MVC-133S.JPG
MVC-134S.JPG
MVC-135S.JPG
MVC-136S.JPG
zerotool
Years of Membership: zerotool has been a member for 7 full yearszerotool has been a member for 7 full yearszerotool has been a member for 7 full yearszerotool has been a member for 7 full yearszerotool has been a member for 7 full yearszerotool has been a member for 7 full yearszerotool has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 25
Alias (AKA): DFW
Van Model Year: 1999
Extra Info: 184000mi RWD cargo

Postby AstroWill » October 12th 2019, 8:52pm

That poor door.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Extra Info: I love peaches

Postby sixsix » October 14th 2019, 8:01pm

X2

Was someone holding a gun on you ... kept you from Removing The Inner Door Panel ?

Very interesting fix - when all you have are office supplies and a SAWZALL...

Maybe go with a new Latch Mechanism. Do they still make it?
Here's where I pulled our Driver's side Door apart, including Motor, Lock and Latch w/ all the Rods n' crap.
I pulled the Latch for fun, wondering how it worked. Everyone else was sluggish, slowing or stopped altogether.
https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.p ... 4#p1479004

Mike

"Ban gerrymandering" out 1 side, then says, "We really need to get rid of the electoral college for starters, there is no way in hell that the person that receives fewer votes wins, simply crazy."
So only CAL, ILL & NY Elects??
sixsix
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K