Digital cluster - no speedo

Digital cluster - no speedo

Postby c0rr0sive [OP] » September 28th 2015, 8:58pm

Working on a 94 Safari with a digital instrument cluster, doing a lot of other work for the guy that owns it as well, what I need assistance with is this digital cluster. Everything illuminates EXCEPT the actual speedo inside it. It's flat out blank, not even a 00. ABS light is also illuminated, checked the fuse, it's good. Pulled the wiring harness for ABS, still no speedo. Read at other sites that it could be a malfunction inside the ABS unit causing it, hence the reason I pulled the harness off of the ABS unit.

So, what do I check next? Not very keen on trying to get under this thing while it's running to check the VSS, garage isn't big enough to really even drive this thing into, and we live on a very steep slope, so, running it is a bit too risky for me to do here. If anyone can give me any ideas of what to check, and where it's located, that would be greatly helpful, as I have never worked on anything older than a 97 dodge, everything has been 97 and up in my life for some reason.
Original Poster [OP]
c0rr0sive
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: c0rr0sive has been a member for 5 full yearsc0rr0sive has been a member for 5 full yearsc0rr0sive has been a member for 5 full yearsc0rr0sive has been a member for 5 full yearsc0rr0sive has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Voltage drop on the cluster gauge
    by Olivier02 » November 26th 2020, 3:23am in Electrical
    5 Replies
    Last post by Rod's Trucks View the latest post
    November 29th 2020, 7:57am
  • no low beams
    by Dorwink » October 24th 2020, 1:38am in Electrical
    12 Replies
    Last post by Leeann_93 View the latest post
    October 28th 2020, 11:50pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    April 14th 2021, 1:50am

Re: Digital cluster - no speedo

Postby c0rr0sive [OP] » September 29th 2015, 7:06pm

Got the cluster apart, checked for continuity between pin #B1 and the resistor right before the AMI controller chip, connection looks good. Checked all the pins between the vac display and solder joint test pins and it tested good, so I guess the next test is to see if I have AC voltage coming from pin one in the dash... The question is, where is the other pin I connect to to test to see if AC voltage is flowing? Pin B15 and B16 eventually connect together at a common ground point, all the others look to be for various other components on the cluster. So I assume Pin B1 to Pin B15 will be ok?

Wouldn't hate to hear ideas from others.

This is what I see when it's running, or just on, yes the other parts of the cluster work as expected. Note that the center doesn't display, at all.
SANY0114.JPG
Original Poster [OP]
c0rr0sive
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: c0rr0sive has been a member for 5 full yearsc0rr0sive has been a member for 5 full yearsc0rr0sive has been a member for 5 full yearsc0rr0sive has been a member for 5 full yearsc0rr0sive has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari

Re: Digital cluster - no speedo

Postby Leeann_93 » September 30th 2015, 1:16am

Wish I could help, but I don't have the digital dash in any of mine.

Check the grounds to the cluster?
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LS AWD