NP136 to BW4472 Swap complete on 2004 Astro AWD

NP136 to BW4472 Swap complete on 2004 Astro AWD

Postby Meterpig [OP] » November 27th 2015, 10:46pm

Well, it's done. After months of planning and acquiring parts from around the country, I will never again be vexed, by another NP136.

Why did I go through with this? I had three NP136 cases malfunction. They were: AWD locked stretching chain, Clutch plate failure and AWD locked causing loss of power/mpg. I removed the front axle the last time this happened and drove 2,000 miles home. That beach run was nice for 20 minutes. Given my history with the NP136, I knew it would die at some point.

Why should you do this swap? Do you do anything more than drive on paved roads? Do you want reliable engagement without the need of anything electronic? Do you want amazing handling at all speeds? Do you want 1-3 mpg less? Then..this is the swap for you.

Time Required:
A full day if you have all the parts. 3 hours for Hardware swap and 1-3 hours for electric work
You will need:
1)A working BW4472 TCase. Available from your local junk yard or someone here on the site.
2)Front AND Rear driveshaft
3)Choice of motor oil for the BW4472 (I used 5W40 Rotella Synthetic)
4)Transmission jack or motorcycle jack. I guess you could use a regular jack but don't recommend it
5)Transfer Case Seal. The seal is paper (really) and easily rips. Without this, you will spill ATF on startup. I heard it's a dealer only item
6) Torsion bar from the same year astro as the donor Tcase. The NP torsion bar will not work.
7) Wiring and sensor clip from donor van for VSS. The NP and BW use different style VSS sensors.

Tools
1) Full complement of sockets up to 18mm and box end wrenches
2) Big pan to catch transmission fluid when separating Tcase. When you tip T case, it will dump blue fluid like a stuck pig. I used a concrete mixing tub from Home Depot $14
3) Lots of rags and clothes you are willing to dispose of
4) A muscular friend to help balance the Tcase
5) A warm day or garage
6) A tray to collect nuts and bolts
7) Transmission Jack/Regular jack and wood pieces

Optional items:
1)Drive shaft yoke from the earlier astro. I didn't have this and ended up grinding out the yoke on mine. The bearings are slightly larger on the 99 and older astro.
2)New VSS sensor for 99 and older Tcase.
3)Transmission rubber/poly mount. You have to remove it..why not replace it? We didn't..but wish we did.

Things that will swap:
1)Bolts from both drive shaft flanges will change over
2)Torsion Bar Bolts
3)Nuts/Bolts from transfer case

What was expecting:
1)AWD light would illuminate -it didn't
2)VSS would swap over-it didn't. Without a VSS, your transmission will go into limp mode. That means second gear and a very slippy 3rd.
3)Van will slowly roll down a hill without front driveshaft-it did. Scary to see 4000lb van move at a millimeter/second roll downhill in Park

Here are the steps:
1) Put both ends of van on jack stands
2) Shake van like dickens/jump on it..etc to make sure it isn’t coming off of stands.
3) Remove Front and rear driveshaft. It’s helpful to have the friend put the vehicle in and out of Park in order to rotate/lock drive rear driveshaft. On your own for the front.
4)Remove Tcase. First, we removed the hardware from the transmission mount, lifted the transmission up via the regular jack and wood (gently) and then removed the hardware that was now accessible. Take it slow and look around. Remove Torsion Bar. Remove all electronics. There are two VSS sensors and one addition sensor.
We put the jack under the Tcase and removed all the hardware between the Tcase and transmission.
5 )Once all hardware is removed, balance the T case and gently pull it away from the Transmission. Remember the studs in the Tcase are threaded.
6)Drain NP136 into pan
7) Swap studs into BW4472 case. Gently… We used two nuts per stud and slowly backed them out and then put them into the new case using some thread locker. Not a lot of threadlocker…
8)Install Gasket. I used some Transmission installation grease to hold the gasket in place. Seemed to work well.
9)Place T Case on motorcycle jack. Line up. We put grease on studs for ease of sliding through.
10) We sort of manhandled it in to position. Bolt up. Tighten down. Getting a torque wrench in there could be tricky. We just tightened down in a “every other” pattern”. Bolt up torsion bar
11) Check all hardware is tight
12) Lower down transmission and bolt up transmission mount. Fill Transfer case with oil.

You can attach both drive shafts now or do electric. I opted to add driveshafts
13)Add front drive shaft and rear driveshaft.
14) If you opted to use the existing yoke on your van, you will need to grind out the yoke to receive the larger bearings on the driveshaft. I DON’T RECOMMEND THIS. I recommend to getting the right yoke. We ground it out…and it worked ok.
Electrical work
Take your VSS connector you got from the junkyard and wiring. This is the fun part. You will need to determine which VSS connector from your van actually is the speed sensor. I simply put some connectors on the exposed wires and tested it. When the speedo worked, I was golden. I then used heat shrink to connect the wires. My polarity didn’t seem to matter. YMMV.

Now, you will have a lot of wire left over from the NP136 connections. What I did was tie it all up and tape it into the frame with zip ties. See photos.
Last edited by Meterpig on November 27th 2015, 11:02pm, edited 1 time in total.
How many sensors, fuses or computers does a Bw4472 need? Zero.

1999-2005 FSM PDF (Torrent) https://www.thepiratebay.org/torrent/30867489/astro_safari_van_fsm_factory_service_manaul

2004 Astro-https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-F7bd6R/
Original Poster [OP]
Meterpig
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: Meterpig has been a member for 5 full yearsMeterpig has been a member for 5 full yearsMeterpig has been a member for 5 full yearsMeterpig has been a member for 5 full yearsMeterpig has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 63
Alias (AKA): meterpig
Van Model Year: 2002
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: Not a minivan

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • complete standard trans set up
    by markmitch » August 30th 2020, 4:56am in Manual
    7 Replies
    Last post by markmitch View the latest post
    September 24th 2020, 3:22am
  • 2004 AWD Base Astro - DCsleeper
    by dcsleeperdcsleeper is online! » May 20th 2020, 12:31am in Projects/Builds
    62 Replies
    Last post by AstroWill View the latest post
    October 7th 2020, 3:40pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    October 21st 2020, 2:28pm

Re: NP136 to BW4472 Swap complete on 2004 Astro AWD

Postby Meterpig [OP] » November 27th 2015, 11:01pm

Transfer Case and shafts ready to go.

My friend Dustin removing the driveshaft.

The offending Unit. Ready for removal.

Motorcycle Jack lines up as we remove the nuts and bolts

Transfer case it out! Note that the NP136 is much larger due to the clutch pack. The NP has a splined connection, BW has a flanged connection. Note also the NP has a deeper splined connection than the BW.

Removing the Studs.

We didn't have the new seal and it was slightly ripped. Improvise. Note the transmission assembly grease.

The BW4472 is in the astro van! Note the lack of skid plate. Why? The BW4472 sits closer and higher. No need!

Rear shaft is now fitted to rear axle after grinding.

Here is how I tested the connections before making them permanent.

Improvise for quick drive

Waterproof heatshrink connectors.

All tucked out of the way.

Left over wiring.

One final beauty shot

1999-2005 FSM PDF (Torrent) https://www.thepiratebay.org/torrent/30867489/astro_safari_van_fsm_factory_service_manaul

Original Poster [OP]
Meterpig
Years of Membership: Meterpig has been a member for 5 full yearsMeterpig has been a member for 5 full yearsMeterpig has been a member for 5 full yearsMeterpig has been a member for 5 full yearsMeterpig has been a member for 5 full years

Postby Meterpig [OP] » November 27th 2015, 11:14pm

Driving Impressions:

1) No more reverse "clunk". All my NP cases had the reverse clunk.
2) The AWD is immediate now. No lag or delay. On hard turns, you can hear the tires grabbing just a tad.
3) 1-3 mpg loss. That was expected
4) Drifting so easy now
5) Getting stuck/unstuck. This is interesting to me. My wife was backing out of driveway, turned the wheels to the right and got "stuck" in the drift between our driveway and street. She gave it gas and only the rear wheels turned. Once she straightened out, the front wheels started turning again. I suspect the wheels were jammed up and the viscous coupling wouldn't turn the fronts.

I went out the next day and got stuck in deep, deep snow...about 18 inches. I simply got out my shovel, removed snow from under the axles and backed out. The snow was drifted in and I was driving 7 mph and got hung up.

During broken snow/ice, I simply just drive. There is no lag between slip and traction anymore.

What do I need now?
1)3.73 gears (currently 3.43)
2) Rear locker

Side note-Big O big foot tires 10 ply are incredible.

Original Poster [OP]
Meterpig

Postby Jabberwalk » November 28th 2015, 1:30am

Great write up. I am curious why the loss of fuel economy?
Jabberwalk
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Years of Membership: Jabberwalk has been a member for 4 full yearsJabberwalk has been a member for 4 full yearsJabberwalk has been a member for 4 full yearsJabberwalk has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 10
Alias (AKA): Jabberwalk
Van Model Year: 2003
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari

Postby AstroWill » November 28th 2015, 2:11am

Nice work, lots of it.

Hope this TC lasts for you.
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 106
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense

Postby Meterpig [OP] » November 28th 2015, 3:10am

Jabberwalk wrote:Great write up. I am curious why the loss of fuel economy?

I don't have a verified answer. I can tell you that in researching this swap, there were reports of lost fuel economy. Usually when someone owned one year of van, than the other.

I notice the loss in power for sure. Keep in mind, I have larger tires on fairly high gear ratio at high elevation so it's pretty noticeable. My hypothesis is that power is split to both axles all the time. This is plainly obvious when you turn one axle on the transfer case and can see the other axle turning. It takes pretty good force to stop the other axle turning which occurs during turns to some degree.

The NP136 had one benefit in my opinion-and that was it would allow the front to freewheel (in theory) during normal operation on solid ground.

Most of the driving I do now is around town just a few miles here and there. I have a thermostat that keep is below 185 degrees so it runs in cold idle mode which puts slightly more fuel to the intake. In addition, as mentioned above, larger tires that are ten ply (heavy). I run between 10-12mpg around town. 16 on the highway at 55. 13 at 65-75. I suspect that if I did all the normal stuff (plugs, cat, FPR, spider, cap, rotor), it MIGHT rise to the normal range of 18/14.

With gas at a whopping 1.69, I don't really care.

There is my answer. I could be totally off and someone else may have better info.

Original Poster [OP]
Meterpig

Postby Meterpig [OP] » November 28th 2015, 3:11am

AstroWill wrote:Nice work, lots of it.

Hope this TC lasts for you.

Given the roots of this transfer case, I believe it will. There is really only two failure points-the chain and the coupling. The coupling is expensive to replace..but doable in an afternoon. So..there really isn't too much mystery with it.

Original Poster [OP]
Meterpig

Postby AstroWill » November 28th 2015, 7:05am

Meterpig wrote:With gas at a whopping 1.69, I don't really care.

For now :)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 106
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense

Postby MmusicmanMmusicman is online! » November 30th 2015, 3:59am

Meterpig wrote:
Jabberwalk wrote:The NP136 had one benefit in my opinion-and that was it would allow the front to freewheel (in theory) during normal operation on solid ground.

It may "free-wheel" by your definition... but unless you can "unlock" the wheels from the axles... EVERYTHING in the front end it still turning! Axles, differential, drive-shaft, transfer-case... ALL still turning even when AWD is not engaged.
2000 Astro LS 4x4 | NP233 | 31" LT265/70R17 Tires | 8" LIFT | 10" TOTAL
92 Chevy Astro Cargo Shorty | V8-350
http://www.CruisinSouthFlorida.com
MmusicmanMmusicman is online!
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: Mmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 72
Alias (AKA): Scott
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: 2000 4x4 - 92 V8-350

Postby Meterpig [OP] » November 30th 2015, 4:51am

Mmusicman wrote:
Meterpig wrote:
Jabberwalk wrote:The NP136 had one benefit in my opinion-and that was it would allow the front to freewheel (in theory) during normal operation on solid ground.

It may "free-wheel" by your definition... but unless you can "unlock" the wheels from the axles... EVERYTHING in the front end it still turning! Axles, differential, drive-shaft, transfer-case... ALL still turning even when AWD is not engaged.

The np136 transfer case is not splitting power to the front much at all. The borg is.

Original Poster [OP]
Meterpig

Postby racrx7 » November 30th 2015, 1:04pm

Nice write up and job well done. Nice to see another alternative to the 136. On top of all the things you mentioned about the 136 truly never free wheels, the clutches are under a slight preload. So there will be some frictional losses there also. GM, (or NP), switched to a non preloaded clutch pack setup in the later model year NP 246's found in the Suburbans. Interesting.
Enjoy your new AWD and let us know how it works on the beach.
2003 Astro 4X4

NP236/246 Hybrid Selec-Trac
4"lift
Dropped front IFS axle
255/70-16 BFG KO2's on 16x8 Fuel Revolvers.
racrx7
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Years of Membership: racrx7 has been a member for 5 full yearsracrx7 has been a member for 5 full yearsracrx7 has been a member for 5 full yearsracrx7 has been a member for 5 full yearsracrx7 has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 4
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2003
Extra Info: AWD

Postby MmusicmanMmusicman is online! » November 30th 2015, 9:53pm

Meterpig wrote:The np136 transfer case is not splitting power to the front much at all. The borg is.

I think you missed the point!
The entire front drive-train is STILL turning, being driven by the front wheels, regardless of whether transfer case is applying power or not. That is unless, you've found a way to release the front wheels hubs from the front axles, or you only drive on the back wheels.
2000 Astro LS 4x4 | NP233 | 31" LT265/70R17 Tires | 8" LIFT | 10" TOTAL
92 Chevy Astro Cargo Shorty | V8-350
http://www.CruisinSouthFlorida.com
MmusicmanMmusicman is online!
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: Mmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 72
Alias (AKA): Scott
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: 2000 4x4 - 92 V8-350

Postby Meterpig [OP] » December 1st 2015, 12:53am

Mmusicman wrote:
Meterpig wrote:The np136 transfer case is not splitting power to the front much at all. The borg is.

I think you missed the point!
The entire front drive-train is STILL turning, being driven by the front wheels, regardless of whether transfer case is applying power or not. That is unless, you've found a way to release the front wheels hubs from the front axles, or you only drive on the back wheels.

Cool...you repeated yourself. Thank you for explaining the intracies of locked drivetrains.

Original Poster [OP]
Meterpig

Postby Meterpig [OP] » October 7th 2017, 10:52pm

Sooooooooooooooooooooooo....

I have been tracing a vibration for sometime now. I found a junkyard yoke and put it in and had the rear driveline professionally rebuilt. The vibration marginally improved. I jacked it up on stands and took it for a "drive". Wow...vibes were bad. Took the front tires off...and it improved a little bit. Look underneath, T case puking oil at speed and vibrating hard. I grabbed the driveshaft (when stopped) when mounted on the Tcase and found that it moves...quite a bit. Also, the Tcase is leaking oil.

So, my theory is that the output shaft is loose and causing a leak as well. I know for a fact that the Tcase was not soccer mommed (and that's ok) before I got it. I intend to get a rebuild kit with new chain...or .....time to drop in a two speed case. But..the two speed case would need to mate up with my current driveshaft.

Original Poster [OP]
Meterpig

Postby 1lowcab » October 7th 2017, 10:59pm

Just rebuild it, easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Plus I want to see what the inside of a BW case looks like!! :banana:
1lowcab
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: 1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 58
Alias (AKA):

Postby Meterpig [OP] » October 7th 2017, 11:12pm

Yeah, the more I look into a 231C...it's nice. But the part of the van I like is the all weather driving ability. Being able to crawl is nice..but not a necessity.

Thinking new chain and viscous clutch. There are some sellers out there with new cases. Looks about a grand or so plus shipping (which I can get cheap).

Original Poster [OP]
Meterpig

Postby robinasu » November 11th 2017, 7:19pm

Did the clutch and chain work out for you?

Also, after the swap, are all OBD2 systems green? I’m in Cali...
robinasu
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: robinasu has been a member for 3 full yearsrobinasu has been a member for 3 full yearsrobinasu has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 39
Alias (AKA): robinasu
Van Model Year: 2005

Postby Meterpig [OP] » November 12th 2017, 5:14am

I haven't done anything with it. Dealing with other things. I am going to true the rebuild bushing kit on the cone and go from there.

Original Poster [OP]
Meterpig

Postby robinasu » November 12th 2017, 8:55pm

What state are you in? Cali requires all systems green (except maybe evap) to start the emissions test. I’m curious if disconnecting the original TC electrical connectors would make the OBD2 computer complain.
robinasu
Years of Membership: robinasu has been a member for 3 full yearsrobinasu has been a member for 3 full yearsrobinasu has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 39
Alias (AKA): robinasu
Van Model Year: 2005

Postby loganlexow » February 3rd 2018, 1:46am

Is the BW4472 from the gen 1 vans? I like this option over cutting a hole and wiring up a button.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
1998 GMC Safari AWD lifted who knows how high on 255/75R17 named Brutus
1999 KTM LC4 640 Enduro
1993 Suzuki Bandit 400
loganlexow
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Years of Membership: loganlexow has been a member for 3 full yearsloganlexow has been a member for 3 full yearsloganlexow has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 6
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1998
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari

Next