Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

1996 LS 2wd- transformation into awesome 4x4

4K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  patgizz 
#1 ·
i figure i needed to upgrade my ZAV(zombie apocalypse vehicle - see "Zombieland"). the chopped up K5 with the wood flatbed was not going to cut it in the event of zombie apocalypse. the lack of a back of a cab would leave me ripe for brain eating, and there is no interior storage space. couple that with the fact that we just found out that my wife is pregnant, i decided my best ZAV needed to be an astro. I have had this beautiful 96 LS in my garage for 5 years, i bought it cheap with bad engine, replaced bearings and crank, then the timing set dropped off the cam and i got fed up and parked it. it is a 2 wheel drive van, and has the potential to be the ultimate family oriented ZAV.

phase 1 - more drive wheels. if i get a zombie, or pile of them stuck under the rear wheels and start slipping and losing traction in zombie mush, i need to be able to pull a lever and get more traction. i busted out sawzall, torch, welder, and the power of my speedway motors catalog. apologies for iphone camera pics, my big computer is down right now so i can't work with or upload pics off the camera.

the beginnings of the addition of moar traction have me doing just enough cutting and welding to get things located and rollable so i can roll the van outside, pressure wash the chassis so i do not catch my garage on fire, and finish cutting and welding outside.

the axle is a 10 bolt 3.73 from a 1979 chevy k20(matching 14 bolt full floater from same truck will be installed in rear). the new front springs are 54" 1992 S10 4 leaf rears. the hangers came from speedway motors - i love the stock car catalog.

See less See more
#2 ·
you wouldn't happen to be over on CK5 would you...? they build some crazy 'ZAV's'...

i'd love to pick up a '95 A/S and throw my 350/465/205 and 1 tons under it...

#3 ·
nope not there.

tacked in rear mount plates, van's weight is on the wheels on the ground for the first time in over a year. have to finish chopping up the k5 rotbox donating it's 350/700r4/np208 so i can get the van outside, because at this point it is too tall to get out of the garage and i have to get creative.

#6 ·
loopie said:
Please tell me you're not using just that piece of angle iron for the front spring mounts?!?!
it is getting totally boxed and integrated into the front subframe, don't worry. and on top of that it is 3x4 .250 beefy angle. when done it will be extremely overkill. things just got tacked in enough to get the front end on the ground to get the van outside to pressure wash grease off the frame and to finish cutting and welding outside without worry of catching garage on fire.

started dissecting springs and configuring rear packs today. had to go to summit racing for new center pins this evening after stripping the threads off one rusty factory pin.

the last couple days after work were spent stripping the body off the donor

#7 ·
working on the 14 bolt install, waiting on caliper brackets and rotors. the astro rear springs are 7" farther apart than the truck the rear axle came from, so i welded on new spring perches. part of the issue is they were so close to the backing plate that the u bolt can only be installed with no drum brakes, but that is ok because i was going with discs anyway.

the front crossmember for the front springs is fully boxed and is the equivalent of a 3x4 .250 tube now, with large end caps tied back into the stock framerails and large boxes built off of those extending the frame forward around the crossmember, totally encapsulating the ends, and serving as new bumper mounts.

#12 ·
Hmm, I've seen this before some where ---think---think--- Oh Ya! What steering box are you using? You are in deep, way more work into it than mine. I'll really watch this one! Keep up the good work, and feel free to ask any questions.
'99 safari, '80 K-5 jimmy, dana 70HD rear, dana 60HP front, cummins. View attachment 4 My buddy in the pic. has a tee shirt on that says ( zombes are looking to eat Brains, but don't worry you're safe!) LOL.

View attachment 3

#16 ·
BGO...I think I can speak for many other members and future readers when I request that you take some time to make a thread or two of your own documenting your van modifications. The more details by word and picture the better.
If you would be so kind when you have a moment...Thx :cool:

:pray:

#17 ·
loopie said:
BGO...I think I can speak for many other members and future readers when I request that you take some time to make a thread or two of your own documenting your van modifications. The more details by word and picture the better.

I was not trying to steal the show but just offer a little insight for a fellow monster builder. I am really into taking the average and making it your own, time, money, sweat, blood and tears. Some of what it takes to make a idea come to life. But I may just do my own build thread I just my get some following here on it. :thumbup: But I will be watching this one for sure.

#18 ·
biggreenoger said:
loopie said:

I was not trying to steal the show but just offer a little insight for a fellow monster builder. I am really into taking the average and making it your own, time, money, sweat, blood and tears. Some of what it takes to make a idea come to life. But I may just do my own build thread I just my get some following here on it. :thumbup: But I will be watching this one for sure.
I certainly didn't want to imply "HEY! Go make your own damn thread!"... :lol: We would just love to hear more details from you :cool:

#19 ·
update kinda?

i have a new power supply on the way for the desktop computer with all my photo software and that does not crash when i plug my camera in.

text update on the van:
-trans crossmember finished and installed
-front driveshaft tested and installed
-starter, water pump, pulleys and brackets on
-front spring hanger crossmember/bumper brackets finish welded and painted
-new fuel pump on the engine
-dropped gas tank, removed rotten stock sending unit and installed nice clean k5 sending unit so i can run mechanical fuel pump - they were both the same depth and the float levels were exactly the same level full and empty. i killed the k5 tank behind the axle idea because it would hang too low for my liking.
-test fit the throttle cable, clips right into the v8 bracket, just need to put the proper end on it.

today after we do some running around i plan to:
swap astro power steering pump over to the v8
reinstall gas tank after i pump the half a tank of gas out of it to make it not heavy
decide whether i want to hack up a new header or just get a camaro manifold for the passenger side

lack of cash(awaiting full payment on the caravan i bought for $500, did $30 in tuneup work to, and sold for $1250 to finance astro) has led me to pirate lots of parts off my 40 chevy pickup truck, which was almost done and ran until i got my hands on it. i swiped the water pump, pulleys, brackets, alternator, possibly headers. i chose not to run the astro accessories because my RH head only has one accessory hole so i could not bolt up the alternator bracket. i did not want to drill and tap with the engine in the van and risk drilling too far, and be screwed replacing a head.

i also have taken my 95 astro cargo van off the road with 187k miles. it has led a rough life and since the registration expired i figured it would be a good time to retire it. so i have a van full of parts if i need, including the supposedly elusive non air conditioning heater box for the firewall.

for tires, i have a nice set of goodyear wrangler HT 245/75/16 on nice 8 lug wheels on my work trailer. i will be swapping the 225 firestone transforce ht's on the van now to the trailer. if i could afford different i would, but i have to run with what i have on hand. when i wear them out, and i will at some point because i plan to drive this thing a lot, i will hopefully be able to afford some 32's. i have 32" 16's on the back of my dually so when i change those out in a month or so for new tires to get through snow, i can test fit one for clearance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.