Burl -- 2003 GMC Safari soon to be camper

Forum rules
Build topics only! Members are allowed one topic per vehicle in this forum. Topics may only be started by the vehicle owner but all are welcome to reply to the authors project thread.

Burl -- 2003 GMC Safari soon to be camper

Postby pmou [OP] » July 1st 2020, 1:25am

Hey all, picked up this guy about 2-3 weeks ago and it's mostly been sitting as summer things have been taking over. I've been slowly picking up on some issues as I drive it more and scheming.

Picked it up in denver from a used car dealer, was his personal ride. It seems his plan was to rice it out. Was a rebuild from salvage, passenger door and front quarter panel have been replaced and painted to match. 3.73 rear / no LSD, AWD. So far, it seems pretty much everything they did is terrible. I think they outsourced the door/panel work so that actually seems pretty OK. The headlights don't fit. The aftermarket grill is held in place with wood screws. There was a rear sway bar that didn't fit at all and was loose when i bought it and has marred up some of the lines on the rear axle but i think i got it out of there before too much damage. The seller was stunned that this was there (and this was a car dealer???). the price was right though, and low miles due to the salvage (118k at purchase), clean underneath, and the good gear ratio in the rear axle.

Hanging in the driveway with my current transit connect camper.

It had some terrible aftermarket headlights and signals that don't fit AT ALL. I have reinstalled the original signals, but am wondering if anyone can recommend some that would actually fit? it looks kinda lame with nice clear headlights and fogged/yellowed signals.

Took a trip to the local pick n pull within the first week or so and got a DIC installed. not too bad but spent a lot of time chasing loose connections in the harnesses :banghead:

also picked up some seat bases from a power seat model & am planning to install some seat swivels.

planned:
2-3" lift
swivel seats
rip out the back & camper-ize
larger tires
roof rack
install aftermarket LSD in rear

stretch plan:
some sort of 4x4 conversion
electrical system for the camper setup

Issues so far:
throwing a P0101 code, seems to only happen under heavy acceleration / load -- as an example: i live a few thousand feet vertical up a canyon. Drove down about 40mins and no code at all. On the way back up, got the code again within 10 minutes. I have already changed the air filter and it had the dirtiest one i've ever seen in a vehicle so i'm wondering if it's just a dirty MAF (still getting code after changing). going to do some signal readings to see if that is all lining up. check for vacuum leaks. if that all looks good, i'll probably turn to MAF cleaner next. any suggestions?

driver armrest flop

squeaky/sagging doors. already got the driver side with a floor jack, just need to hit the passenger i think.

got a big box of fluids and going through one by one. oil change on the list, checking t-case fluid, diff fluids. spark plugs as well which it looks like should be an adventure.
Original Poster [OP]
pmou
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Topics: 1
Van Model Year: 2003
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: V6 AWD 3.73 no LSD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • 2001 Astro AWD camper build
    by renickh » March 25th 2020, 6:15am in Projects/Builds
    19 Replies
    Last post by renickh View the latest post
    March 31st 2020, 3:17am
  • Video of my 2001 stealth camper build
    by SonomaDoug » May 25th 2020, 4:16pm in Projects/Builds
    8 Replies
    Last post by sixsixsixsix is online! View the latest post
    June 27th 2020, 10:05pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    July 7th 2020, 12:42pm

Re: Burl -- 2003 GMC Safari soon to be camper

Postby pmou [OP] » July 1st 2020, 4:11am

Follow up on the p0101:

MAP is reading 75kpa at 8300ft above sea level which seems within range.

MAF read 11.5g/s at 900rpm idle, once warmed up read around 8.5g/s at 650 rpm idle. WOT at 1-2 shift was a little hard to tell as the OBD only updates every second or so, but was 100 g/s or more. wasn't able to find any obvious vacuum leaks.

Pulled the filter box off and found some roadside potpourri on the MAF so gonna hit it with some cleaner as a first step.
Original Poster [OP]
pmou
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Topics: 1
Van Model Year: 2003
Extra Info: V6 AWD 3.73 no LSD

Postby SportsBoy » July 1st 2020, 5:10pm

Good luck dude! Did you get a Safari to camperize because it has more room and offroad ability than your transit?
SportsBoy
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: SportsBoy has been a member for 2 full yearsSportsBoy has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 15
Alias (AKA): Blake
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: 4.3 AWD

Postby Leeann_93 » July 2nd 2020, 3:48am

If cleaning the MAF doesn’t help, my ‘05 would throw that code initially under heavy acceleration, then under moderate acceleration, then under any acceleration...

My injectors were leaking into the cylinders (and the PO had the spark messed with to mask the problem for a while) and the unburnt fuel took out the cats. Melted them so only idle exhaust could get through. I fixed the spark problem, which made the fuel problem obvious so I fixed that, then the cat problem also became obvious. Fixed that, no more P0101, coughing, hesitating, roaring, falling flat on its face.

Sorry, that was long-winded. Really, what the code meant in my case was that the engine couldn’t get enough air in because no air could get out. After the spark and fuel work, I pulled one oxygen sensor and accelerated (really loudly) out of my driveway, no problem at all. Did the loop to get back to my driveway, ran up to the computer and ordered the y-pipe and gaskets. Since then, I haven’t had a single problem.
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 42
Van Model Year: 2005
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby dcsleeper » July 2nd 2020, 1:18pm

First do no harm.

Don't you wish people who can't fix something properly wouldn't fix it all?

Nice van, congrats.
Lumpy wrote:I refuse to hang out on forums where people agree with me.
Lump
dcsleeper
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Topics: 5
Van Model Year: 2004
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro