Non exciting Alternator.CS-130. Gen1.

Postby bowtie262 [OP] » August 2nd 2020, 8:45pm

Help!!
Happily driving my Gen1 shorty, when the dash ign light lit up big & bright. :confused:

Checked drive belt, connections, earths, fuse links & cables etc. Battery is good & cranks engine easily.
But the Alternator (CS-130) is not generating any charge.
The Ign light is on, constant, whenever ign switch is on and/or engine is running.

Removed alternator, disassembled it, checked for visible faults or burnt parts, nothing found. Brushes & springs seem okay.
Reassembled & refitted the Alternator. No change,,, Ign light on - no charge.
Splashed out for a brand new Delco Remy CS-130 shipped across The Atlantic by RockAuto to here in the UK.
All looked good, new Alternator arrived yesterday.

Fitted new alternator, no problem.
Reconnected battery & switched IGN on, ,,,, NO dash IGN light - darkness! :confused:

Checked connection plug & socket, earth, main BAT cable etc,, all okay.

Climbed back in & turned key to IGN ON,, still IGN light is off. (other dash lights, for seatbelt & SES working fine).

Disconnected alternator 'plug' from 'socket'on alternator.
Just one wire is connected (BROWN, L terminal,) this comes from the dash 'idiot' bulb & is 'hot' in 'ign on' and 'run' Fed from gage fuse 20amp, which is intact & good.

I grounded this brown wire to test the circuit. Touching EARTH lights the IGN dash bulb which is right & correct.

The new alternator 'appears' to be faulty, it generates no charge and, I suspect, may be failing to 'excite' into action. :crying:
I really hope the brand new alternator isn't bad, because I have never before ever needed to return anything to RockAuto. Not cheap or easy to ship it back to the USA, not to mention the delay etc.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?? :pray: :ty:
Attachments
alt.jpg
Original Poster [OP]
bowtie262
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Years of Membership: bowtie262 has been a member for 12 full yearsbowtie262 has been a member for 12 full yearsbowtie262 has been a member for 12 full yearsbowtie262 has been a member for 12 full yearsbowtie262 has been a member for 12 full yearsbowtie262 has been a member for 12 full yearsbowtie262 has been a member for 12 full yearsbowtie262 has been a member for 12 full yearsbowtie262 has been a member for 12 full yearsbowtie262 has been a member for 12 full yearsbowtie262 has been a member for 12 full yearsbowtie262 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 9
Location: Was England (U.K. Surrey). Now Carmarthenshire Wales U.K.
Alias (AKA): Mart
Van Model Year: 1988
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: Astro L.T. RS-ish

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Good High End Alternator?
    by ri$e*above » June 27th 2020, 8:00pm in Electrical
    16 Replies
    Last post by ri$e*above View the latest post
    July 4th 2020, 2:16am
  • alternator questions
    by markmitch » July 6th 2020, 6:22pm in Electrical
    9 Replies
    Last post by sixsixsixsix is online! View the latest post
    July 7th 2020, 11:30pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    August 10th 2020, 3:26am

Re: Non exciting Alternator.CS-130. Gen1.

Postby MechBob » August 2nd 2020, 11:40pm

1 is almost impossible to "visually" check a bad alternator
2 I think your new one is defective.
MechBob
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: MechBob has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 11
Alias (AKA): Bob
Van Model Year: 1994
Extra Info: 4x4

Postby bowtie262 [OP] » August 2nd 2020, 11:47pm

Okay,, thanks MechBob,, oh dear, trust my luck☹️ , guess I'll have to speak with RockAuto about what happens next.
Original Poster [OP]
bowtie262
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Years of Membership: bowtie262 has been a member for 12 full yearsbowtie262 has been a member for 12 full yearsbowtie262 has been a member for 12 full yearsbowtie262 has been a member for 12 full yearsbowtie262 has been a member for 12 full yearsbowtie262 has been a member for 12 full yearsbowtie262 has been a member for 12 full yearsbowtie262 has been a member for 12 full yearsbowtie262 has been a member for 12 full yearsbowtie262 has been a member for 12 full yearsbowtie262 has been a member for 12 full yearsbowtie262 has been a member for 12 full years

Postby MechBob » August 2nd 2020, 11:52pm

Point them out to this thread you started,they support this site.I have had excellent success with them.
MechBob
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles

Postby MechBob » August 2nd 2020, 11:53pm

Oh,if you have access to a larger soldering gun/tool, a cs130 is not hard to rebuild.
MechBob
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles

Postby Mmusicman » August 3rd 2020, 12:18am

I had two VERY BAD experiences with Rock Auto.. I refuse to do business with them again.
No customer service... And it was over stupid stuff. They ripped me off.
I've also got some useless new mis-packaged parts too. (different story)
A bigger gamble than buying on Ebay.

But good website when shopping for part numbers.

PS: You can always take your new alternator to a local auto-parts store and have it tested.
2000 Astro LS 4x4 | NP233 | 31" LT265/70R17 Tires | 8" LIFT | 10" TOTAL
92 Chevy Astro Cargo Shorty | V8-350
http://www.CruisinSouthFlorida.com
Mmusicman
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: Mmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 71
Alias (AKA): Scott
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: 2000 4x4 - 92 V8-350

Postby bowtie262 [OP] » August 3rd 2020, 4:33pm

SOLVED !!! :banana:

Thank you to everyone who posted in this thread :ty:

Thankfully I don't need to ship the alternator back to RockAuto as it is now working :thumbup:

Not an option here in the UK to visit my local Auto Parts Store to have the alternator tested, as the UK doesn't have lovely Parts Stores like in the USA :crying: All we have here is a chain of stores called Halfords (pronounced by many here as Hal-Frauds :shrug: ) they're ok if you need help fitting a tail light bulb, they'll do it for you,,, if you pay! I (myself) wouldn't trust them with anything more technical.
Testing at a generator repair place (if I could find one) would probably cost more than a second alternator purchased and shipped from the States. :violin:

Anyway,, none of that is necessary now.

So, turns out that alternators that sit on the shelf, unloved, for a while loose internal residual magnetism.
they become totally depressed and unable to even bother to excite themselves :eek:
So they need some help to kick-start them into action. (Defibrillation for Alternators :dance: ).
A short 'shock' of 12vdc electricity into the fitted & connected alternator terminal 'P', wakes up the magnetic field.
This enables the 'self exciting' aspect to be restored and all becomes well, so the alternator can go on to produce power & hopefully live a long and meaningful life :lol:

My ign/battery dash warning light is now working as it should :thumbup: and the alternator output is making a good charge for my battery :thumbup:

Thanks to everyone & God willing this is a 'solved' problem :clap:

Credit to,, & for more info,, google search,,,
Fixing Alternators that Won't Charge by Flashing the Field BorgWarner Delco Remy Genuine Products.
& How to Excite the One Wire - Self Exciting Alternator.
Original Poster [OP]
bowtie262
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Fueling (3/4 tank)

Postby MechBob » August 3rd 2020, 6:07pm

Glad you are up and running. I must say I have never heard of that,on a self contained internal regulator alternator. That is what the L ,the bulb in the dash circuit does.In theory, this type of alternator could sit on the shelf for 100 years and function right away.Perhaps an engineer could explain it.
MechBob
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles

Postby Leeann_93 » August 3rd 2020, 10:12pm

bowtie262 wrote:So, turns out that alternators that sit on the shelf, unloved, for a while loose internal residual magnetism.
they become totally depressed and unable to even bother to excite themselves :eek:
So they need some help to kick-start them into action. (Defibrillation for Alternators :dance: ).
A short 'shock' of 12vdc electricity into the fitted & connected alternator terminal 'P', wakes up the magnetic field.
This enables the 'self exciting' aspect to be restored and all becomes well, so the alternator can go on to produce power & hopefully live a long and meaningful life :lol:

I almost spewed beer everywhere :rofl:

I've never heard that about an alternator. I have heard it about certain model generators, having to spin them backwards with a drill to get something excited again, but never an alternator.
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 42
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: LS AWD